Author Topic: ernest harding, trying to find his grave  (Read 4465 times)

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ernest harding, trying to find his grave
« on: Monday 20 February 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
can anyone help please? im trying to find this man

Year      Surname           Name               Age           District               Vol          Page No
1925     Harding             Ernest James   74             Douglas             A             2083

he is my great grand dad, but unfortunatley the family have no idea where he was buried, im hoping that i can find out before our visit to the island in may this year, can anyone help?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ernest harding, trying to find his grave
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just seen the probate calendar for him, died 5 Sept 1925, last address given for him was 5 Westminster Terrace, Douglas. His name is given as Ernest Jabez Harding otherwise Ernest James Harding.

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 12 16:33 GMT (UK) »
yes thats the man, but unfortunately we still have no idea to his whereabouts

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
there is an index to burials at www.iomfhs.im - however he doesnt appear to be on it
the usual burial places for Douglas at this period were Douglas Borough Cem, Braddan new yard + Onchan - if there was an old family plot in Douglas St Georges this may have been opened but obviously could be buried elsewhere - there was no crematorium on Island at that period - the index prepared by the late Brian Lawson is not 100% complete in that a few smaller yards might have been missed - strictly it is an index to the entries in the IoMFHSoc transcriptions of burial regs - so possibly they or Brian missed some (+ also transcription errors) which is possibly the case here

However coffins were regularly conveyed between the Island and the UK - did he have family off Island

There is a lter Ernest James age 81 bur Dbc 1980-01-16 (?son/gson?)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:14 GMT (UK) »
yes the 1980 ernest was his son, but the 1925 ernest, he was the first of the family to go to iom so there wouldnt be a family grave to open. ernest 1925 was born as ernest jabez hawkins in 1850 in bitton gloucestor and moved the iom in 1912-1925 with his wife elizabeth and their three boys

Offline kafft

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 August 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawnkaren, I am also a great grand daughter of Ernest Jabez Hawkins aka Harding.  I am Wilfrid's grand daughter.  Ernest's will provided for his body to be repatriated to the UK and buried in the West Derby area.  His grave is not on the Isle of Man.  I know it's 3 years since you posted your request, but please contact me as I have more info. 

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 15 06:46 BST (UK) »
hi there! yes I found his grave in west derby cem! I have some lovely photos took by someone on here and I finally got back to Liverpool and went to the grave myself, I have spoken to David a few times  I also located ernest Williams son david and enjoyed a drink with him in London, im hoping he is ok as he wasn't too well when I last heard from him 18 months ago