Author Topic: William Vant 1753  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Georgfriedrich

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William Vant 1753
« on: Monday 20 February 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm in the midst of tracing the Vant family and I have come across an interesting combination.
My ancestor WIlliam Vant was born in 1753, married at GIllingham and lived most of his life at Halstow Lower.
I have spotted on the IGI a WV baptised in 1753 at Molash which isn't too far away.
This William's parents are WIlliam and sarah and it would appear that they were married at Challock in 1750 and lived at Molash and then Ham.
I am thinking that it is probably too good to be true that this all links up so nicely. 
Also, I was always of the opinion that the Vants came from the Netherlands which I suppose could be true - just earlier than I expected.
What do you think? 
Doing my research from Germany is rather isolating so I would be interested to hear other views on this.
Thanks
Kirk
London/Greater London:  Owen, Ford, Plank, Paul and . . . Smith.
Essex:  Robjant, Brown (!)
Yorkshire:  Fallowfield, Snarr, Wood, Dunn, Heron, Bean, Wright
Leics. : Flude, Smalley, Caris,
Northants: Flude
Lincs: Borrass, Hall (Grantham)
Staffs : Owen, Browne
Salop: Carver, Tristram
Suffolk: Barber, Boor
Kent: Reed, Gardiner, Vant, Miles
Wales:
Pembroke : Rees, Llewelyn
Elsewhere:
Ford, Rodrigues

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Vant 1753
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 12 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirk, if you are taking the place name of "Ham" from the IGI/Familysearch then do please read through the following topic http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,263109.0.html as there is some evidence that "Ham" is not always "Ham" but could be other Kent parishes alphabetically near.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kirk,

I don't know how much help these may be to you, but the earliest Vant (also spelled as Vaunt and Vante in various registers) events that I have in my East Kent Familes Database are as follows:

Burials:
Elizabeth Vaunt 7 Dec 1580 at Lenham
followed next by
Margaret 19 May 1614 wife of Edward at Charing, with Edward being buried 24 Dec 1616 also at Charing.

Marriages:
Edward Vaunt married Ann March 24 Oct 1614 at Charing.

Baptisms:
Margaret Vante christened 4 Nov 1593 the daughter of Edward, at Charing.

The source for all of these events is the Bishop's Transcripts for Charing and Lenham.

There is also a baptism of a child of William and Sarah at Throwley 27 Apr 1755 a son named Joseph [Source:  Archdeacon's Transcripts]

There are very few Vant events but they definitely centre around Charing, Challock, Westwell area, but thought you might be interested in the very earliest of dates as that will push the families immigration into England, if they did come from the Netherlands, much earlier than you expected.

There are very few Vant events but they definitely centre around Charing, Challock, Westwell area, but thought you might be interested in the very earliest of dates as that will push the families immigration in England, if they did come from the Netherlands, much earlier than you expected.

I have also checked the early Canterbury marriage licences 1568-1661 but no luck with those.

The late 1500's mark would be about right for some of the Dutch immigrants as there had been a small group living in Maidstone during 1585.  Their names are enumerated on http://www.kent-opc.org/Parishes/Manors%20and%20more/MaidstoneDutch.html

Sorry, I am not able to provide more concrete links for you but it looks as if your family may have been in Kent a hundred years longer than you had expected.

Of course, only hard-graft research in the registers and archives is going to solve this riddle for you.  As you are working from outside England you may find a few of the suggestions close to the bottom of this page helpful:
http://www.kent-opc.org/researchtips.html

Good luck with your research.  If I run across any more Vant families I'll be back in touch.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Georgfriedrich

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Casalgudi,

Things such as the IGI are a good starting point but like all recorded info needs verification doesn't it, however I hadn't considered that aspect of the name Ham...

Kirk

Wales:
Elsewhere:
Ford, Rodrigues

Offline Georgfriedrich

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Susan,
that is very interesting.  I had heard of the Vaunt spelling.  That always made me think 'french' however it may well be that they are Dutch after all.
I am going to keep a record of those names you have given me - as a reference.
You are right when you speak of hard graft.  It can be time consuming but it has its rewards at the end.
Bye for now
Kirk
Wales:
Elsewhere:
Ford, Rodrigues

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
you may have found what you are looking for but here is some early one's from London

Sarah Vant buriel at Houndsditch 1st of Jan 1682 "widower"

List of Inhabitants.

Susan Vant residing at Covant Garden 1st jan 1695
Sarah Vant residing at Houndsditch Precinct 1st jan 1993

they may be some help to you london was a good place for new entry's to the Country.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Mrs T 6183

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 February 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
If you are still looking for William Vant - I have extensive records of the main Vant trees and some records of the [at present] smaller trees. I do have records of this William Vant. Please be in touch - I am sure I can help. 
Regards
Mrs T

Offline Mrs T 6183

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirk - I could not reply to your message directly for some reason so have had to do it this way!
I have done extensive work on the Vant families for my One Name Study of the Vant Surname. Vant was my husband's mother's maiden name.  I have several different trees, three of which I have published on my husbands website at www.toll-familyhistory.org
They can be viewed on the site but you will need to set up a free account to do so [to deter the bots]. The one that is your family is Vants of Kent 2.  You may find the other two interesting also. Please remember that these are all works in progress and are not finished [if that is ever possible!]  Basically, there are three main Vant families [so far!], one in Yorkshire, and two in Kent - I am sure that the two Kent families are actually one but have not as yet made the connection - I will in due course, I am sure. Also, I am reasonably confident that the Kent and Yorkshire families share a common ancestor - yet to be found.  This is because in all three families VANT was originally spelt VAUNT in the records. Regards Jean toll

Offline WLROSMA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
 :)Hi,
I'm very new with this but I've been doing research on family.
William * Vant
1779–1859
3rd great-grandfather
From Westwell by Ashford Kent England.
Mary Clarke 1791
Charollet Shirley 1783

William dad would be
John Vant 1751

Information came from families
Spelling I go by is Vant, Vaunt, Vaughn, also my family is connected to Fues, so if you use that it might pull more information.
 I have found vant in Ireland,  the other place is the asylum, prisons, so if you have questions feel free to contact.

I'm new but I'll try and answer questions.
Wendy