Author Topic: Mary Squires & Daniel Vass -- Bayford  (Read 4123 times)

Offline davcantray

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Squires & Daniel Vass -- Bayford
« on: Monday 20 February 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Mary Squires    ( Born 1742 ? ) Married Daniel Vass --  29 April 1758 , in Bayford

Can anyone identify her Place & Date of Birth --- Parentage  ??

Also , details of Daniel Vass'  Birth.

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Squires & Daniel Vass -- Bayford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who witnessed the marriage? Perhaps that might provide some clues. I have just read that witnesses' names were added to registers from 1754. Have you been able to consult wills which may provide details of other family? (although I'm not sure how much this would help)...I notice that Sarah Squires was married in Bayford also in 1758 (perhaps a sister of Mary or else otherwise related).

Not strictly relevant to the topic of this thread but I noticed that someone had posted this on genforum. It links to someone researching the same line as you (perhaps they might hold the answer although it seems like he hasn't got beyond Mary and Daniel).

There is a Daniel Vass on GenesReunited (born 1740, Enfield). The same person who posted the Daniel Vass from Enfield also has Mary Squires, born 1742, Bayford in their tree. There is also mention of John and Sarah Vass (posted by the same tree owner), who were both born in Enfield in 1743.

I realise this might not tell you anything you don't already know, but I thought I might get this thread going with a first reply.

- Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline davcantray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lucia

I was not aware of Sarah Squires.  I have no access to the Bayford Parish Registers

which I   believe are in the Hertfordshire County Archive.  Mary & Sarah are likely to

be closely related.

Dav

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There's a family tree on A*y with a photo of her gravestone inscribed as follows

"Headstone reads: IMo Mary, wife of Daniel VASS who departed this life March 13 1773 aged 33 years also six of their chiuldren who died infants. Footstone Reads MV 1773 "

Jacqui
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline davcantray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacqui

I was aware of this entry on A*

A* unfortunately has no entries which take me back further.

Dav

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there

If you are still an active member.
The Vass family are my husbands ancestors I have additional information about them if you want it.
Also Mary's parents were John Squires and Sarah (Bermis).

A note about the family having slaves in Barbados which they were applying for compensation for from parliament.

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I made a mistake the surname of Mary's mother. was Sarah Bemis.

Daniel or perhaps a cousin marriage to a Mary Gould 9 Oct 1760 Walthamstow, Essex, England