Author Topic: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?  (Read 3745 times)

Offline caudwellresearch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 02:42 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while since this thread was active, however I'm researching the Caudwell's and am seeking information on Joseph Jnr (son of the convict) and also his wife Mary Jane, I've been unable to find them on any ship's passenger lists when they emigrated in 1852. Family legend has it that she came on the Lady Head (but isn't on the passenger list) and that he missed the boat and came separately.

Regarding our convict ancestor Joseph Snr, I've discovered he was alive and still thieving into his 70's!

EXTRACT FROM THE VICTORIA POLICE GAZETTE 9th November, 1865
A warrant has been issued at Queenstown against Joseph Caldwell, for stealing from the stables of Messrs. Winston and Cooper four bags of chaff and some maize. The offender, whose discharge from ticket-of-leave is reported p.412 1861, is a Derbyshire man, a labourer, aged 74, 5 feet 8 inches high, fresh complexion, grey hair and eyes, and one or more of the upper front teeth wanting; London to VDL 1843, bond 10 years; wore grey coat and vest, brown trousers, lace-up boots, and black belltopper hat. He is supposed to be about Melbourne 7th November, 1865

Offline ian caudwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, Im Ian Caudwell. I have news on Joseph Caudwell b 1794, transported to Van Diemens land. The family did not lose contact with him.
After being released he came to Melbourne. He was subsequently convicted of stealing a horse ( for the second time). Upon release he went to Queenstown ( Vic) to be with the family but a warrant for his arrest for theft was issued in 1865. He was believed to have escaped back to Melbourne. By that time he was 74. The man who died in Ballarat, Joseph Caldwell was not him.. that Joseph was born in 1801 in Yorkshire.
Does anyone know where and when he died?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat both of you. The member who started off this topic nudge67 sadly has a note underneath their name to show that we have lost contact with this member, it looks like they changed their email address but never updated their profile here. They were last online in 2019.

Old members do get in touch all the time to update old profiles, I hope that this will be the case for this member.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Been away for a while...

This thread was started while conducting research for my now ex-wife, so I no longer can access any original documentation to support anyone in their research. Sorry.

nudge67
NSW Convict: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict: Richard REES
SA Pioneers: Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists: McFeat, Tyler, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists: Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.