Author Topic: Fifeshire Cavalry  (Read 10756 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Fifeshire Cavalry
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 12 April 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
Mark - is this an electronic version of the original family tree book and first addendum, or extra information?

Offline Mark GG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 12 April 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi. I thought it was a complete copy of the original book but it turns out to be an addendum update for the descendants of William Gilchrist born 1869 (my great grandfather & Bruce's Uncle Will).
I have a copy of the book & am happy to copy relevant pages for you if you don't have it?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 April 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
I have the original book and also the first addendum dated November 2005, but if it's a later addendum I'd like an electronic version, I remember Bruce said years ago that he hoped to do another addendum and send it out electronically, but I assumed he'd not been able to do it.

I take it you are descended from Charles Gilchrist's eldest son also called Charles (1800-1867), whereas I am descended from the 3rd child, 2nd son John Gilchrist (1804-1873).

I am always astounded at the amount of work that Bruce put into compiling the Gilchrist family tree and it was partly due to his work that I decided to research the rest of my family tree.

Offline Mark GG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 April 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I'm descended from Charles son of Charles. My branch settled in the North East before my parents arrived in Warrington via Saddleworth where I was born.
When my grandpa John died in 1962, he had two daughters and so the Gilchrist name was looking to disappear from this branch. However my parents gave me the middle name Gilchrist to preserve the name for one more generation & when my daughter was born in 2009 we have her the same middle name to continue the name. If she has children & decides Todo the same that is up to her, but I hope she does! She didn't meet either of my parents as my mum died in 2005 but she loves reading the book.
It really is a terrific achievement on Bruce's part & I was pleased I could give him an update before he died

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 13 April 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I've sent you a PM. 

Lizzie

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 08 January 21 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I realise this is an old thread, but I'm really grateful for the information on here - I am currently researching my partner's ancestry, and his 4x great grandparents are Charles Gilchrist and Catherine Robinson.

I wondered if any of you have found any more information on the family since this thread's last replies, as I'd be very grateful for any knowledge you may have found on this family in the last two years, and the possibility that Charles Gilchrist could be Charles Watson Gilchrist; the son of John Thomas G Gilchrist, himself a son of Thomas G Gilchrist (a baillie and merchant).

Best wishes,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Just sent you a PM in response to yours.  I have Charles Watson Gilchrist's parents as John Gilchrist and Elizabeth Struthers, and his grandfather William Gilchrist, not Thomas G Gilchrist, but I'll do some more research on this.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Iimagine the gardeners in Scotland moved around on a seasonal basis, somewhat like the agricultural labourers in England.
From the many gardeners in my own tree, I don't think that was the case. They all seem to have stayed put most of the time, and when they did move it was often to another estate owned by the same employer.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.