Author Topic: Fortune family of Fife, Scotland and California  (Read 11919 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Fortune family of Fife, Scotland and California
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

My post wasn't really a query.

Isabella Johnston (daughter of Andrew Johnston and Euphame Clephane) married James Forrester.

Their daughter Mary Forrester was the second wife of Rev Brown.  Their daughter Helen Brown married George Fortune.

I wasn't sure the Fortune descendants had this information about this maternal side of the family.

Ah......that makes sense now as there was no mention previously of Helen Brown & George Fortune.

Is any of your details relevant to the Motion surname?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 00:31 BST (UK) »
someone Bethune of Fingask.

Hi Hurworth,

An alternative for the surname Bethune would be Beaton if that helps?

Annie

Fingask would be Perthshire, if that helps  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jf99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 May 16 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

My post wasn't really a query.

Isabella Johnston (daughter of Andrew Johnston and Euphame Clephane) married James Forrester.

Their daughter Mary Forrester was the second wife of Rev Brown.  Their daughter Helen Brown married George Fortune.

I wasn't sure the Fortune descendants had this information about this maternal side of the family.

Hurworth- yes thanks, that information is recorded and Forrester has remained a family name, borne by both my father and his cousin.

You asked if Rev. Brown's daughter "married a Rankin." It was John Fortune, tenant of Caiplie and Pilmuir, who  married Christian Ranken, the eldest daughter of Isobel (Fowler), widow of William Ranken, tenant of Barnsmuir.  Captain Ranken and John Fortune wereneighbours and founder members of the Crail Golfing Society.

John Fortune took over the tenancy of Barnsmuir, which passed to his son George Fortune, (husband to Helen Brown) and it remained in the family till  the 1890s. William Ranken’s only son William Erskine (‘Willy’) died at sea aged 14 on service with the Royal Navy  in 1803, So, sadly, no-one’s daughter married a Ranken of that ilk.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 27 May 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
Can I belatedly make a contribution to this conversation? George Fortune of Barnsmuir married, not Helen, but Euphemia Forrester Brown, in 1848. The banns were published in both Kilrenny and Edinburgh, and they were married in St. Stephen's church in Edinburgh's New Town by the Rev. Robert Brown, possibly Euphemia's brother, I haven't checked. Euphemia died in 1906 aged 79 and her death-certificate makes all clear. She was the daughter of the Rev. James Brown & Mary Forrester, the granddaughter of the Rev. James Forrester and Isabella Johnston and the great-granddaughter  of Andrew Johnston and Euphame Clephane.

I'm a native of Cellardyke in the parish of Kilrenny, though born 4 miles away in Crail, my mother's home town, and my great-great-grandmother Marjorie Myles of Crail was cook and dairy maid to George and Euphemia Fortune at Barnsmuir House.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 May 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify, the Rev. James Brown of Kilrenny married 1. Ann Rankine, who died in 1823, and 2. Mary Forrester, in 1825, the daughter of his predecessor the Rev. James Forrester.

It was a common practice among the fisherfolk to call a child after the minister or the minister's wife, and my great-great-grandmother Ann Rankine Gellatly was one of several girls in Cellardyke called after the minister's popular first wife. A distant relative of my Watsons was christened James Forrester Watson after the old minister, although according to the kirk-session records James F. Watson's behaviour was not exactly what you might call godly.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 May 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to a photo and details of the Rev. James Brown's headstone in Kilrenny church. It's a marble tablet in an enclosure leaning up against an older stone. His 2nd wife Mary Forrester isn't mentioned as she would still be alive when it was erected.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=121&GSvcid=419369&GRid=116281520&

Harry

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link to a photo and details of the Rev. James Brown's headstone in Kilrenny church. It's a marble tablet in an enclosure leaning up against an older stone. His 2nd wife Mary Forrester isn't mentioned as she would still be alive when it was erected.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=121&GSvcid=419369&GRid=116281520&

Harry

The current entry states Mary Ranken died on 4 July 1825.
It states that Euphemia Forrester Brown (says calculated relationship is that Mary Ranken was her mother) was born on 6 Oct 1826.

There isn't much contrast on the headstones so it is hard to read the text.

I need to learn how to use Findagrave.