Author Topic: Fortune family of Fife, Scotland and California  (Read 11880 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fortune family of Fife, Scotland and California
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 February 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
In the Los Angeles Times from 22 Dec. 1894:

Fortune - At Ramona, Cal.  December 21, 1894, William R. Fortune, a native of Scotland, aged 37 years.  Internment private.  (San Francisco papers please copy.)

He appears on the death index here:  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cabf1905/Los-Angeles/2/2LADG.htm

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 12 20:09 GMT (UK) »
William's marriage is mentioned here:  http://www.jwfgenresearch.com/SFCall/6900-54.htm

The San Francisco library will do obituary look-ups for free, so maybe it's worth checking if there was anything in their papers?  http://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000049301

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I called Holy Cross Cemetery (I hope you don't mind) and asked for her (Sarah Helen) burial plot information.  I will send it to you by pm.  There isn't any additional information about her, it is only the section, row and grave number.

I asked if they knew if any other Fortune's were buried in the same plot and the staff member, after a quick look, said it looked like she was the only one.

The website for the cemetery:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kfg/
A map can be downloaded from this site.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 February 12 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Lisa
Many thanks for that extra information, received by PM.
Ainslie

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 February 12 08:17 GMT (UK) »
You are quite welcome.  Others have found quite a lot for you.  If I may help with any "details" please do let me know.  I've lived near San Francisco for a number of years and may be able to answer details about neighbouring cities.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jf99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 February 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Ainslie, how is your research going? I came on this thread just now by chance, a year after you were last seeking information on William Ranken Fortune. He was my great-grandfather's youngest brother. I met  Willie's daughter, my Cousin Effie, when she was in her eighties and came on a visit to Scotland. What's your interest? if you're still searching, I might be able to help.

JF

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello JF

My grandmother (1865-1948) was the tenth of her set, in which Willie was sixth, so this makes us cousins of some degree which I have not yet worked out.

I have a pile of information on the Fortune family, and a year ago was trying to tidy some loose ends.  I suspect we may have corresponded before.  Bengairn?

Ainslie
PS I lost some computer stuff, including email lists, but will send you a link by PM later

Offline MErins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 August 13 02:09 BST (UK) »
William Ranken Fortune is my great grandfather. His son James Clephane Fortune was my grandfather. So we are distant cousins also!! I would be very interested in any history you can share and if interested I have some also!

Offline jf99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 August 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

Well, for a start you have a fair amount of cousins in the US, but perhaps you knew that.
The ancestory and descendants of the Fortunes of East Fife (Barnsmuir and Muircambus) was researched pretty thoroughly by my 2nd cousin Ernest Fortune in conjunction with Effie Charlton Fortune, William Ranken Fortune's daughter, who was an family history enthusiast as well, having been sent to stay with her maiden aunts in Edinburgh to study when her late teens.

Ernest drew up a series of sheets accurate to about 1975, I think (I haven't looked for a while), which were fairly widely circulated among the UK tribe and in America as well  via George Fortune who lived in Carmel. Ernest's son George, who now lives in France, has all his father's papers and has been doing some work collating the information digitally.

Of late I have been looking into the life of William Ranken himself, our gx4 grandfather, who served in the War of American Independence (losing side) and first had the tenancy of Barnsmuir. John Fortune , later of Muircambus, married Captain Ranken's daughter Christian.

I am afraid I don't have much time to spare at the moment to get into long narratives. How much of this do you know already?

Rgds JF