Author Topic: Samuel Ambrose - Ramsgate  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Martin Duke

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Ambrose - Ramsgate
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 December 13 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I may have some information that will help you!

My name is Martin John Ambrose and my Father, William John Ambrose was born in Muir Road, Ramsgate on the 28th December 1928 (today is his 85th birthday!) - his Father was William Mahon Ambrose, born 1900 - he built the house in 1925/26 (I think it was called Mahon Villa). His Father was Samuel Joseph Ambrose - I believe his occupation was a brickmaker/journeyman. Maybe the son of the Master of the harbour dredger?
My sister, Jennifer Garner, is continuing to do research into our family and I have given all of the documents that I had to her - we know more about the family of my Fathers' Mother, Olive Rebecca Stannard (also from Ramsgate) than we do about the Ambrose line.

Regards, Martin.

Offline Magoomouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanet Advertiser - Tuesday 12 November 1940

Death of Mr. S. J. AMBROSE.
At one time a familiar figure in Ramsgate Harbour, where he was for 28 years
collector of customs and excise, Mr. Samuel Joseph Ambrose,of 91, Boundary-road, Ramsgate, died suddenly last week at Merthyr Tydfil, aged 75 years. 
The funeral in Wales was attended by his daughters, Mrs. Brooks and Mrs. Rankin.
Regards,
Mick

Offline jenniferelaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 March 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information.
This Samuel J Ambrose is my Great Grandfather's (William Ambrose b. 1869) older brother. I've clarified it with my brother who put the original post out.
Their father was also called Samuel Joseph Ambrose, b. 1832.
If anyone has any more information about the Ambrose family I would be delighted to receive it.
Many thanks,
Jenny Garner (nee Ambrose)