Author Topic: Esau & Henty Smith of the Black Patch & the Charlie Chaplin mystery  (Read 9632 times)

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esau & Henty Smith of the Black Patch & the Charlie Chaplin mystery
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 November 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Was Percy in Sheffield before Notts? Yes think i found him in the 1939 register in Sheffield with wife Elizabeth.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 November 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
 Sue

Look at the census records you just put on they have a Percy on, i think there are two Percy's on, there maybe several Percy's, i just wish to know does Percy of Nottingham come out of the Sheffield Percy's, most of the Wiltshaws were from the Yorkshire way back at least to the middle 1800s, Rebbecca was born in a yard or field, i think it is known as Owens field.

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 03 November 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I only ever put what i find in the records and as transcribed we know some said dif names when it suited them but you can normally tell if they are yours,yes I think the Percy in Sheffield must be same Percy ,you have notts and derby and yorkshire

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 November 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
No one could out think You Sue, You have just got that IT.... its true You know it to, i dont know why people of the past as in writers started all the rubbish, people are just people, lets talk another day Sue, do you know i thought rockerin cant was words, as in the past there were many words used round the city, unless you were raised with right knowledge everything would get mixed up, you could say rokkerin Romany to, but do you know all the book readers would only say rockering romany, all the old Gipsies new all about cant and Romany, the difference was they new how to separate the words evan thoe they understood them both, all the words i listened to from people when i was young sounded just like one language, how would i know when someone was saying Cant words, then other people used Romany ones, all i new was that it was not English in the modern sense, lots of people now learn from books old words, Gipsy's know straight away evan thoe some people they may know some words but they are pronouncing them wrong, that's how you can tell the real ones, there will not be a single Gipsy man of old who did not understand cant, through their dealings they would know such things, i suppose this is how it was the start of the end for the old true way of talking Romany, this must of happend over a few hundred years, Lee new lots of the old words but he is from very old lines of the Romany family's, they kept it strong, hes what you would call a Romany Gipsy, it is best just to tell the truth.
Good night Sue. 

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 November 18 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Night Michael talk again soon  :)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 November 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Sue

I am looking through all the records that you have just put on,
thank You and take care 

michael x

Sue
I was looking at the Percy's you found from Sheffield in those census reports, they may be just local Wilshaws, there are many many people with that name around Yorkshire, this could be one of them below from WW1

SHEFFIELD DAILY TELEGRAPH, FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17. 1916. A batch of Sheffield's home on a few Day's leave. Photo ..
... home on a few days leave     Sheffield, wounded, Private Percy Wilshaw, 
  Friday 17 November 1916
 Sheffield Daily Telegraph

The Percy i was talking about could be this one from Nottingham, he sounds about right and his addresses over his lifetime suit the location, i was just trying to find out who his father was, there is a good chance this is the Percy i was looking for, truthfuly i do not know, he would be born in 1920s, i find him doing quite a bit of petty crime, no sign of nobody else or any kind of occupation that may help, he was a driver, a pitman, a labourer, if you ever find his Father let me know please, i do not think the Wilshaws from Sheffield that you found may be from the Wiltshires, they could be just locals, they could be the right people to, this Percy below could be two, i guess there are always mystries never to be found.

... ALLEGED ROBBERY WITH VIOLENCE Nottm.   
 Percy Wiltshire, 18
Nottingham Evening Post
Thursday 09 August 1945

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 November 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
yes thin there were 2 Percys about same age Mike so will have a look further to see if  i can separate the two as so easy to attach the wrong one when similar age and in same pace!:)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 November 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
yes thin there were 2 Percy's about same age Mike so will have a look further to see if  i can separate the two as so easy to attach the wrong one when similar age and in same pace!:)

Sue your spelling looks more like mine:) don't call me mike, please call me michael, Sue you sent me a Percy Witshire from about 2008 on the Journey Folki web site, it was not the same as you put on a few posts back, i may have all those posts somewhere:) and all the census reports that you sent me years ago, i have just found hundreds of emails to from all sorts of people regarding several subjects close to heart!:) Sue i really do not mind anything, me and you swapped photo's of our granchildren you remember, and wedding photo's, have you forgot the photos of the Jurassic coast line that you would show me, i never forget a single word, lots of people have wrote to me down the years Sue, i know every part of Britain and have travelled to it to, often i have been down your way it is a beautiful place, just as you described it, i am not long back from Montenegro, i think that's how you spell the name:) they told me their that it means the land of the black mountain, thankyou for the help Sue, i am most obliged, we will have to go for a drink when i am next down your way, it would be my honor.

regards michael x

ps.. It as not been easy for me Sue this last year or so, all my posts first have to be read by a moderator, i have been forbidden from posting for reasons that are unknown to me, in the past my posts have vanished and been moved about, evan some have not made it through, i have stuck in there and tyred to help others and also learn myself the bigger picture of the people we all are trying to research, about the same time as the lady named Skyshot came on talking about the Wiltshires Wilshers Wilshaws i was then allowed to post freely, remember how i used to write to you and i would use the name skyo, now someone says skyshot, do you think it may be a coincidence, i do not know if my posts again will just be stopped from getting through, if you do not hear from me again it is because once again for reasons unknown to me someone will have the power to silence my words, so if these are my last words let you be the person i send them to. I appreciate the times  when you helped me.

your pal michael

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 November 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about spelling  and funny as when i put your name I was gonna change it as dident look right and then phone rang and i forgot :) I did notice the name skyshot ,this bard works differently to the old jib board ,it keeps to the format of just research and exchanging records etc  not really meant to chit chat on here :)you normally use pm for that ,and you have helped many i would think from all your newspaper records must have taken you ages transcribing :)