Author Topic: Edna Badman (Diener) parents  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Adelaide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edna Badman (Diener) parents
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am seeking the parentage of Edna Doris "Dolly" Diener born 1914 in South Australia. She married Alick Badman in 1939. She died in 1956 and is buried at Mount Gambier, SA. Thank you

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edna Badman (Diener) parents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 12 06:41 GMT (UK) »

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 12 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the database doesn't give all the information

DIENER Edna Doris
25 Apr 1914
Father Henry DIENER  Mother Martha SHILLER
At Peterhead  PtA 935/85

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adelaide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Debra and Cando for your quick response.  Now all I have to do is establish if she is one of "my Dieners"!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 12 08:10 GMT (UK) »
I am unable to find a marriage for a ? DIENER to a Martha.  There are many snippets of info in the 1920's on TROVE for Mr and Mrs H DIENER and Edna in the Finnis area of South Australia including one mentioning they were leaving the district.  Unfortunately German sounding given names were 'anglicised' around the time of WW1.  I did find a death of a Martha but she is the wife of Oscar Benno DIENER who advised that he was 'known to his friends as Peter' - see digited file on http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/   Anyway that Martha is not old enough to be the mother of Edna.

Perhaps if you could post some of your DIENER family of that era we may be able help find a link...or not :)

Cheers
Cando 

Offline Adelaide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Cando
As she was born at Port Adelaide I am beginning to doubt she is one of "ours".  I was hoping she might be the daughter of Johannes August Heinrich DIENER (1881-1944) married 1908 to Emilie Caroline BEELITZ.  All my Dieners are descended from Wilhelm Diener born c 1796 in Harz area (Clausthal or Lauenthal) Germany who came to SA in 1847 with sons Heinrich Christian Friederich (known as Christian) and Friederich Augustus Johann.
Many thanks

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 12 23:56 GMT (UK) »
There are so few DIENER's in South Australia and Vic that I did initially think she may have been a dau of the couple you mention who are buried at Strathalbyn.  I did find a letter on TROVE written by Mr H of Strathalbyn and being in the Finnis area I incorrectly assumed it was Edna's father.

I also found a news snippet of Mr H DIENER leaving Parrakie [near Jabuk] for ?Finnis. 

Oscar Benno [Peter] gave his address at Marmon Ranges [near Jabuk] on his attestion papers for WW1 however he stated that he wasn't married.  His wife was Martha.

It is possible that he is another DIENER who emigrated to Aus with wife Martha, but why can't I find anything for this Henry or Martha after they left the Finnis area.

I wonder if Henry was a witness on Edna's marriage cert?

Perhaps if you have a trawl through the DIENER news items on TROVE you may find something else.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Cheers
Cando

Offline Adelaide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  Yes, have been trawling a lot through TROVE and will continue to do so.  It did throw up the only  photo we have of my great-grandfather Heinrich Christian and his wife Johanne Augustine Wilhelmine MAI as well as many other interesting snippets.  Thanks again.