Author Topic: Aston and Jones  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Totnor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aston and Jones
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot! A Richard Aston married Elizabeth Jones 4 June 1811 in Stanton Lacy. They had three children I know of - John, Margaret and Richard who were all born in Ludford. Can anyone shed light on the births and deaths of Richard snr. and Elizabeth, please?

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Aston and Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Had a look in Shrewsbury archives today and this may help. Not sure you if you have this already.

Richard Aston      both of this Parish    signed
Elizabeth Jones                                    X her mark
mar. 4 June 1811 Stanton Lacy
Pres. Elizabeth (Jones ? )signed
          William Jones         signed

bp. 30 Oct 1813   John         Richard & Elizabeth        of Ludford         Yeoman   3 bp Ludford Parish
bp. 26 Nov 1816  Margaret  Richard & Elizabeth        of Rocks Lane    Farmer            Church
                             Brasier                                              Ludford
bp. 3 Aug 1818    Richard     Richard & Elizabeth        of Rocks Lane    Farmer 

Could not find any more children. No success with the 1841 C short on time.
The following has a strong connection with the middle name of Margaret from above.

Richard bp. 28 Aug 1775 Cleobury Mortimer  son of Richard Aston & Margaret

Richard Aston
Margaret Brasir
mar. 20 Dec 1764 Knighton Upon Teme, Worcester

Jones does need some patience, the following from IGI
Elizabeth bp. 5 July 1789   Burford                      Francis & Mary Jones
Elizabeth bp. 20 Aug 1787 Benthall                     Francis & Elizabeth Jones
Elizabeth bp. 1 July 1787   Halford or Bromfield   Edward & Sarah Jones
Elizabeth bp. 23 Oct 1785 Ludlow                       William & Ann Jones

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Totnor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 12 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Alderbury - Thank you so much! That's a great help. I knew about John (my Gt-gt-grandfather) and Richard, but wasn't sure that Margaret was a child of Richard snr and Elizabeth. I got nowhere with the latter in the censuses, so perhaps they were dead by then.

It looks as though the Richard and Margaret who married in 1764 could possibly have been the grandparents of Margaret, John & Richard, doesn't it? And to complicate matters I found the marriage of a John Brazier Aston to Mary Morris on 11 March 1836 Place of marriage in Ludford.

In the 1851 census there is also a 19 year old John Aston in Stanton Lacy working as a farm servant alongside John Aston (my gt-gt-grandfather). Presumably he is somehow related to "my" John, but I have yet found out how! Both were were born in Ludford. There is also John snr's partner Priscilla who must have been pregnant with my Gt-grandmother. I haven't found a marriage for John and Priscilla.

Truly a complicated family!

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Totnor
No www.ancestry.com at home. Can only view at Shrewsbury archives.
Free BMD
John Aston     Priscilla Lowe
marriage mar quarter 1849 Wolverhampton 17 327

Family Search
Emma bp. 15 June 1851 Weobley, Herefordshire   F. John Aston & Priscilla

1881 C  Whittingslow  Wistanstow  RG 11   2623  114  page5
John Aston 72 mar  Farm Lab.   bo. Ludford
Priscilla

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Totnor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my line is through Priscilla and John Aston and their daughter. Priscilla seems to have been illegitimate, and says she was an Evans on one child's birth certificate and Beavan on the other child's. Her mother was a Mary Evans who married a Beavan.

Apart from the 1881 census, I have not been able to find the couple on 1861 or 1871 censuses. It took me a long time to find John and Priscilla on the 1841 and 1851 censuses!