Author Topic: Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen  (Read 15365 times)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 18:43 GMT (UK) »
On a wild goose chase I know!
My Hegartys went to USA around 1890/1910.
Believed to be :- John 1866
                           Patrick1872
                           Bridget 1868
                           Margaret 1873
                           Anne 1875
Also Ellen 1877 who stayed at home!
Anyone out there see any link?
We don't know where in the States they went or what happened to them.They are my Great uncles and Aunts.So sad to think they were lost to those who remained in Ireland. :(
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Hegarty Lahardane Skibbereen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth checking the Elllis Island website for any sign of them arriving - records there start in 1892. See : http://www.ellisisland.org

Do you have the full names of the parents ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 12 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Parents seem to be Patrick Hegarty and Mary Driscoll and Lahardane is in the parish of Castlehaven (RC).

My great great grandparents were Jeremiah Driscoll and Johanna Hegarty (and various abbreviations for these first names) and they were having children at the same time as this couple in the townland next door, Killaderry. I haven't looked into them properly and am going to be hampered by the late start date for parish records but was wondering if you have any further info on Patrick Hegarty and Mary Driscoll to see if these couples might tie together  somehow eg names of siblings, names of parents.

One of the sponsors named on my great grandmother's baptism is Patrick Hegarty but it's probably not a good idea to read too much into this! Miggs, I see you have Bohane listed as a name of interest - are they from this area as well?

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Sonas,
Must be a link somewhere!
Grandparents were Bohane from Killaderry 1864.tiny place,know it very well,next door to Lahardane. I know my Bohane links and have checked with 1911 and 1901 census and Castlehaven records. Hegartys are there too but would love to know where they went.We have a possible photo sent 'home'from the States. Have used Ellis Island and it can be very good especially when listing relatives in Ireland.They usually go to New York and Boston but still don't know where and what happened. Also linked to Driscoll and Mccarthy.Are you linked to me?
Thank you for replying. Look forward to a reply?Miggs
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miggs, Are you related to this Bohane family?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Castlehaven_North/Kilderry/1156787/

Mary Bohane age 38 (nee Daly) is my great-grandfather's sister. I have their marriage cert and Michael Bohane's father was Daniel Bohane.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 12 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sonas,
Not directly but I understand that The Bohanes of Killaderry are all related.
 My Mother Bridget DOB 1918,my grandfather was Peter DOB 1864,my Great grandfather Michael and I have a suspicion based on Griffiths etc that his father was Daniel but can't as yet prove it!
Have you used the Skibbereen Heritage centre?
A lady called Margaret knows everything,she is amazing!
I hope to travell back again this summer to find more evidence.
The house is still standing but empty since the 50s.
I have spoken to a relative by marriage who knew them way back.She is a Hegarty married to Pat Hegarty my mother's cousin.
She didn't know where the earlier generation had gone in the States.
Have you searched in the old copies of The Southern Star newspaper.You have to pay but there are lots of bits about Killaderry.We must be linked but how far back? Thanks for replying.Look forward to hearing from you.
Miggs Chcked census.We were no.10 in 1901 my great grandparents as main householders.I think no. changed for 1911 and then we were no 9.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »

We don't know where in the States they went or what happened to them.They are my Great uncles and Aunts.So sad to think they were lost to those who remained in Ireland. :(

Maybe not entirely lost.  Family Search lists people with parents Patrick Hegarty and Mary Driscoll in Ohio, New Hampshire, and Montana USA.  Have those been dead ends?  Diaspora of Patrick Hegarty and Mary Driscoll

My family has Hegarty in-laws from neighboring Bluid.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I think there must be a connection somewhere too, Miggs. My aunt-in-law is also related to Bohanes from Killaderry but I don't know the details. I have some more research to do but I hope to talk to her in the next month or so to see if she can fill in blanks. I'll post again if I discover anything further. She might know how all these Bohanes connect together or do you already know?

I must go back to the Valuation Office and look at the cancelled land books again and also go to the National Archives to see the old age pension material. I don't mean to drag this off-topic but would anyone know if the names of parents are recorded on the old age pension forms?

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 12 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Sonas and Skibgirl,
I have cousins living in Skib.
I shall cajoel them to explore further!
I do know my grandfather was registered in Baptism record as a Sullivan! But that is crossed through in the church records and changed to Bohane.
The family story goes that the land in Killaderry was all owned by the same person and split between sons hence so many Bohanes live in that Townland.
Bohanes still live there.
Does anyone know if Hegartys are still in Lahardane?
i have been through the Castehaven Church records and tried to cross reference them but it is so hard as they all seem to be Patrick,Michael,Bridget,Mary,Hanorah etc.
My aim is to see if it might fit with a traditional Irish namig pattern as the baptism dates are available.
By the way family lore has it that all the registrations occured on market day!
In Skib so many people know their family links and I feel it would be great to find ours! I'll check the sponsor names too.
Thank you for replies.
Miggs
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth