Author Topic: Possible burial places please  (Read 1415 times)

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Possible burial places please
« on: Friday 24 February 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am hoping someone can help me - I have my G-Grandfather's death cert and am trying to figure out where he may have been buried.
John Lyon LANGFORD born 14th April 1860 Gt Mollington Cheshire - lived in Cheshire and Lancashire -

Ok, his death was 8th May 1942 at 39 Falkland Road Wallasey Birkenhead - He was 82 years old - The informant was an M. McNaughton present at the death - I don't know who that was - probably a neighbour or perhaps landlord/lady - I don't recognise the name as a family member -

I, at first, imagined he would have been buried at the Toxteth Park Cemetery as his wife Annie(1931) and 2 of his daughters are buried there.
As are his wife's mother(1901) and wife's brother (1899) -
John's brother, Thomas (1936) and his wife Sarah Ann (1910) and 2 of their children are also buried there - But John doesn't appear to have been buried there.

Most of them were buried in the Unconsecrated Part, but some were in the Consecrated Part -  There could be more of my family members there, but I don't know without death years to search - (these were all found from the Toxteth Park Cemetery site)

It looks like a few of them may have been buried in the same section "3" and some of the numbers are close together. I don't know if that means anything, like they are close to each other or in the same graves- I tried to look at the map from the Toxteth Park Cemetery site, but I don't know which numbers, other than the 'section' number, to look at.

If John died in Wallasey (Falkland Road area) what cemeteries could he have been buried in? I'm not sure what religion they were, but John sang in the choir of the Christ Church, Linnet lane - don't know what religion that was -

John was, for a couple of years a member of the Toxteth Park Guardians - the West Toxteth ward, and ran for the Liverpool council - West Derby ward in 1903 -

He ran a real estate/surveyor, valuer, auctioneer firm called 'Langford & Newling' for a time -

Although he and his family lived in Liverpool for many years, sometime after the 1901 census they moved to 49 Rowson St New Brighton Cheshire - They were there for the 1911 census - John's daughter Florence aged 15yrs died in 1909 and her place of death from the Toxteth Park Cemetery site was: 51 Rowson Street, same address for daughter May aged 23 in 1910 - Wife Annie's address in 1931 was 35 Falkland Road Wallasey -

John's father John died in 1904 and was living at 26 Station Rd Ellesmere Pt Whitby, I've not found John Snr's burial either - I only mention this as I wondered if perhaps John Lyon may have been buried with his father -

I do realise that WW2 was 'happening' and the bombings also around that time and don't know what procedures were followed for deaths and burials during that hectic time - John did NOT die from a bombing - he died from; Myocardial degeneration and chronic bronchitis -

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice

In Fellowship

Char
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline Melagbe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible burial places please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Char

A possible burial site for John would be Rake Lane Cemetery. You can check these records at the library on Shoreham Road, Birkenhead Library or Wirral Archives,
As you know the date of death, I would phone Landican cemetery which has digitlised all the cemeteries and would be able to locate the burial for you.
(he is not buried in St Hilary's Churchyard)

Telephone  0151 677 2361
E-mail                   landicancemetery[-- at --]wirral.gov.uk

As for John snr, 3 posibilties are Overpool Cemetery Ellesemere Port or St Marys Churchyard Eastham, Plymyard Cemetery Eastham.  I am sure others will come up with other burial places.

Hope that helps.

Mel

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @
main family lines at
Wirral -( Davies, Wilson, Price, Redhead, Dawson)
Liverpool - ( Evans, Lowey, Pettigrew),
North Wales (Davies, Roberts, Owens, Gage),
Exeter (Martin, Hall, Davey, Sweetland, Follett),
Sprowston ( Stone, Germany),
Sheffield and Rotherham (Bailey/Beeley, Martin)

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Char

A possible burial site for John would be Rake Lane Cemetery. You can check these records at the library on Shoreham Road, Birkenhead Library or Wirral Archives,
As you know the date of death, I would phone Landican cemetery which has digitlised all the cemeteries and would be able to locate the burial for you.

Telephone  0151 677 2361

As for John snr, 3 posibilties are Overpool Cemetery Ellesemere Port or St Marys Churchyard Eastham, Plymyard Cemetery Eastham.  I am sure others will come up with other burial places.

Hope that helps.

Mel

Hello Mel

Thank you very very much for all that info - I will email the Landican cemetery (I'm in Australia so easier to email)
And I will see what I can find on the other cemeteries you mention

Thanking you again

In Fellowship

Char
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Char

Telephone  0151 677 2361

Hope that helps.

Mel

Hello Mel

I emailed the Landican cemetery requesting help with possible burials for both my GG-Grandfather and G-Grandfather, and received a reply today stating: ".... search hasn’t come up with any results for your search."
and: "You will need to find a definite cemetery.  Have you tried the Births & Deaths office?"
The man apologised that they couldn't help.

What does he mean by; the Births & Deaths office?

Regards
Char

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Births and Deaths office would be the Local Register Office but if you already have a copy of the death certificate then they wouldn't be of help as they don't have burial information.

Since you have the date of your great grandfathers death in 1942 you could look to see if there was a notice in the local papers, the Wallasey News or the Liverpool Echo are possibilities but they are not online and would need someone to look them up.

Andy