Author Topic: Elston  (Read 2247 times)

Offline mimmyt

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Elston
« on: Sunday 15 May 05 06:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find info on Roy ELSTON.  He was born in Australia in 1898,  He served in the First World War and stayed in England after war.  He became a Journalist and wrote several travel books for Cooks.  As he never returned home his family have no idea what became of him.  He has 2 surviving sisters.  One is 100 and the other 89.
Any descendants or other info would be appreciated.  ???
Albert
Caesar
Brazier
Orchard

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mimmyt,

Did he write a book entitled "The Travellers Handbook for Egypt and the Sudan"?   If so this link may help, but unfortunately it is in German and if, like me,  you don't speak German you may need to enlist the help of other RootsChatters!

http://www.antiquario.de/a_autoren/e/Elston_Roy.html

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 05 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi mimmyt,

The site Jill found is an online shop for old books. 
There are three references for books in english by Roy Elston, but two are both for this book (for 62 or 104 Euros, depending on the condition):

The travellers handbook for Egypt and the Sudan
Pub.: London Simpkin, Marshall Ltd. 1929. 588 S. with maps and plans. Ln. - NaV.,

The other book is:

Cook's TRAVELLER'S HANDBOOK TO NORTHERN & CENTRAL ITALY INCLUDING ROME. 1st ed. - With maps & plans 16mo. Lettering on front cover states Cook's Traveller's Handbook Northern & Central Italy. Three stamps (Complimentary Copy) on empty front page, otherwise clean and in good condition. Hardcover - original maroon leatherette boards, with gilt lettering on the front & spine.
Pub.: Simpkin Marshall Hamilton Kent & Co.& Thomas Cook,London 1927.

for 24  Euros.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 05 14:10 BST (UK) »
PS:

if you enter roy elston in Google, it seems that various rare-books sellers have copies of his works !
(some of the links don't work, possibly because the book has been sold and the page now shows something else, or the book has moved further down the catalogue !)

judging by the titles he got around a bit - all over Europe !!

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline mimmyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all about the info on his books.  I have all that info I even have his Guide to Paris.  What I am after is personal information.  If he had any family in England that I can contact, info on his death etc. 
Albert
Caesar
Brazier
Orchard

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi mimmyt

What if any information do you have on Roy Elston.  Are you sure he didn't return to Australia.

On the National Archives site there is a reference to a Service record for Clement William Elston born 1928 in South Aust who's next of kin is down as father Roy Elston.

Cheers
Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline mimmyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 05 02:41 BST (UK) »
No he didn't return to Australia.  The books he wrote around Europe are dated between 1923 and 1938.  The family also received a postcard and photo from Uk during those times.
Albert
Caesar
Brazier
Orchard

Offline LindaSh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am related to Waltham Egbert Roy Elston, born in Australia in 1899 and died in Ireland in 1971.
If you would like to get in touch we can chat further.
Regards
LindaSh

Offline TAH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 00:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Linda,

If this is Roy Elston (aka David Courtney), my parents were very good friends with him in Ireland when we lived there.  I live in Australia.  I have very fond memories of him.  He was a very gentle and kind man.  I never realised he was born here.

Kind regards,

TAH