Author Topic: Scottish Stewarts (90% certain scottish travellers)  (Read 5205 times)

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Stewarts (90% certain scottish travellers)
« on: Friday 24 February 12 17:09 GMT (UK) »
hi was wondering if anyone had any connections or info on stewarts in scotland, i am doing the line of stewarts, i think they were travellers, well they were in the army in india for a while but before and after that there occupations were travelling journeyman and basketmakers which were proffesions of scottish travellers of that time, the people i am looking at so far is george henry stewart born in kelso in 1867, he had several siblings, his father was alexander stewart and mother alicia wilshire, alexander was in the army in india as a quartmaster for a while, but his father alexander was from caithness one of the most northern points of scotland, the family had births and marriages in near enough every corner of scotland over the space of 2 or 3 generations, some crossed the border which isnt rare in the travelling community as they are more loyal to there own roots of the travelling and gypsie nation than they are to a single scotland or england or ireland, some did go to america iv heard, im looking for info on them all really i do have more info so if this family rings any bells let me know and i can tell more, but i cant get past georges grandfather alexander, i think he might have either been born in caithness but it is possible he was born in blairgowrie(perth) or campsie(stirling) anything would be great cheers

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Stewarts (90% certain scottish travellers)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »

There are 7 family trees on GRU that have a George Stewart born in Kelso in 1867, they maybe able to help you with your search.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
hi.
were they traveller gypsies or roma gypsies a few did move over to ireland but mostly the traveller kind as they tended to be roman catholic if you know which it may help more in your research they was a stwewart family on the 1861 census at walkergate lane in Berwick dont know if they may be any help to you.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline WhoDoIThinkIAm?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Romany
We lived in Ayrshire latterly, but my Dad's family go back via Glasgow to Ireland and, possibly, Skye.  The story goes that my 3/4/5?x Great Grandfather was a lion tamer who was eaten by a lion :)!  Never thought much about it until, in the last few years, my older cousin tells me we have travellers in our family and mentioned there may still be some in Stirling.  He also confirmed that people my parents visited in Hurlford? in Ayrshire are also connected.  Now I am struggling to know where to start.  Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any idea of any records for circus performers/horrible deaths.  The only other clue I have is a female ancestor's surname of Rowan, which I am assured by an Irish friend is an Ulster (NI) name.  My Dad's family were originally RC.
Wonder if any of this ties in with your info.  Always a long shot, but worth a try.
Kind regards
Janet

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Not that up on Circus Performer's but there is a genealogy site called MOCAVO and if you type in the subject matter such as name's dates etc which you can do in one hit you may come up with some results,it is a kind of search engine which directs you to other sites even back to this site it may be worth trying, good luck
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline WhoDoIThinkIAm?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 April 12 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the info Romany.  Unfortunately, there are tons of references - Stewart is far too common!  Will trawl through them when I have more time.
Thanks again
Janet

Offline Daniel_Sweden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 April 22 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if there is any info about a man from the Stewart family who possibly migrated to or went to work in Sweden sometime around the 1700's?could have been earlier or later but around that time.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 April 22 20:04 BST (UK) »
     Found on ScotlandsPeople, the official government website for Birth, Deaths and Marriages in Scotland.
     Likely Birth: George Hendry Stewart born 1867 at Kelso, Roxburgh. [Statutory Births 793/00 35]
     Death: George Henry Stewart, died 1923 at St Giles, Edinburgh, age 54 years. Mother's maiden surname Welshire. [Statutory Deaths 685/4 08]
     Other possible deaths.
     Elizabeth Lydia Stewart, died 1864 at Thurso, Caithness, age 3 years. Mother's maiden surname Wiltshire. [Statutory Deaths 041/00 12] (born about 1861, possibly Thurso).
     Charles Brockman Stewart, died 1866 at St Giles, Edinburgh age 0 years. Mother's ms Wiltshire.
     [Statutory Deaths 685/4 311] (born about 1866).
     Alicia Elizabeth Stewart, died 1881 at Kelso, Roxburgh, age 1 year. Mother's ms Wiltshire. [Statutory Deaths 793/00 73] (born 1880 Kelso).
     John Sinclair Stewart, died 1915 at Morningside, Edinburgh, age 39 years. Mother's ms Wiltshire. [Statutory Deaths 685/6 1244] (born 1876 Kelso).
     Alexander Stewart, died 1915 at Newington, Edinburgh, age 56 years. Mother's ms Wiltshire. [Statutory Deaths 685/5 432] (born about 1859).
     James Arthur Stewart, died 1916 at Morningside, Edinburgh, age 45 years. Mother's ms Wiltshire. [Statutory Deaths 685/6 727] (born 1871 Kelso).
     Robert Sinclair Stewart, died 1924 at St Bernard, Edinburgh, age 50 years. Mother's ms Wiltshire. [Statutory Deaths 685/1 284] (born 1873 Kelso).
     William Brockman Stewart, died 1901 at Canongate, Edinburgh, age 39 years. Mother's ms Weltshire. [Statutory Deaths 685/3 933] (born 1863 Thurso, Caithness).

Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."