Author Topic: Scottish Rifles - Numbers  (Read 812 times)

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Rifles - Numbers
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather, James Irvine joined the Scottish Rifles on 5th Jan 1899.  I have his army records which show his number as 6404.

A second cousin in Australia has a couple of medals which he thinks belonged to my Grandfather.  The only thing is, they have "RX4-199757 PTE.J.IRVINE A.S.C." inscribed round the perimiter.  He has a hand written note that is in the same box which can be tied back to my Grandfather.

His army records show that he was in South Africa & India up to 1907, then transferred to the reserves.  He then went back in 1914 an was sent to France, and discharged in 1916.

There is no mention anywhere in his records of the numbers on the medals, but everything else ties in. Are they his, do you think?

Anybody got any ideas as to how to solve the puzzle?

Thanks
Jim Irvine
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Rifles - Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:18 GMT (UK) »
The RX4 bit says he was with the Army Service Corps Remount Section ie he helped in purchasing and training of horses for the army
They were usually older soldiers who did this sort of thing so I think yes they are his...He may have joined ASC after discharge.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

He served two separate enlistments. The record covering the Boer War should say when he was discharged the first time - probably 1911, if he did not extend his service in the Reserves. It should also confirm which Boer War medals he received.

There is a WW1 medal card available - either on the National Archives website  - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3207813&queryType=1&resultcount=7 (cost £2)  - his will be one of six with men of similar names - or on Ancestry (free? and in colour). This just gives his ASC number. So he left the Scottish Rifles before WW1.

http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

Unique army numbers were not introduced until the 1920s. Before then the number changed as men changed regiments, and sometimes when they changed battalions within the same regiment.

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:45 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Index Card shows a post Jan 1916 deployment overseas as no entitlement to a 1914 or 1914/15 Star.
Just British War and Victory Medals

Nothing on about been discharged though.He could have been a Time Expired discharge ie...Contract had finished so he was free to go

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.