Author Topic: Stewart  (Read 2457 times)

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewart
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
hi does anyone have any info on a line of my ancestors please, first of all i my grandfathers mum was margaret stewart she died in edinburgh but born either jedburgh or kelso, her mother was margaret middlemist and her father was george stewart, george was born 1867 i think, george henry stewart, he had several siblings all born potentially in kelso, i know the family moved around alot but one generation at least seem to have all stayed in kelso for a while, georges father was alexander who served in india as a quartermaster where he met the mother of his children alicia wilshire, at least to my knowledge anyway, alexanders father was also alexander, there is a record for who i think is georges grandfather, it seems he died in kelso then the family came to edinburgh, this is a part of the record: Alexander Stewart-1. He was born Abt. 1825 in Durnist, Caithness, Scotland. He died on 04 Feb
1893 in 46 Horseshoemarket, Kelso, Roxburghshire, Scotland. i do have more info but nothing i can get anywhere with myself, so if it might be of use to anyone else or you can help me i would be grateful

Cheers Ryan

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 13:16 GMT (UK) »
anyone with anything atol would be great especially someone with the same line of family in there tree, i am looking for ancestors of george but also siblings,cousins, descendents of george and his siblings, and anything of the like, the whole line interests me, and i would love to hear from anyone who either has info or would like info or even find a connection with someone would be brilliant aswell

Cheers

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Ryan

I know it is exciting to kick off with your research, but sometimes responses and info takes a while (days, weeks, months.... ;)). You need to be patient and let people either try to help or come across your post if they also have connections.

Just putting up a link to your other post on Alexander in the Caithness board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,583819.0.html

Try to add links to the other boards you are also posting on if family lines are connected. A good way to give people background on what you have so far, also good for people to know so that they don't waste time looking for info that has already been found.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Cheers For the tips Monica am jst getting used to this still and it does get a bit interesting at the start but i do know it can take a while as i do bits on Genes Reunited aswell, and i waited a year and a half for a reply one time id forgot the message even existed lol

Cheers Ryan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Ryan,

Was George Henry married before he married Margarert Middlemiss? Have you found their marriage cert (can't easily see it on Scotlands People index)?

I think on the 1891/1901 census George is showing as having married an Elizabeth Mason Downie.

From 1891:

George H Stewart 22, tailor b. Kelso
Lizzie Stewart 19, wife b. Edinburgh

Address: 10 Mid Arthur Pl, Edinburgh

The 1901 census shows the family at 10 Forbes Street, Newington Edinburgh, with Henrietta, 9, David 7, May 5 and George 1.

Monica

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
hi monica yeah elizabeth downie mason was his wife, i think he was margaret middlemist after that, and had margaret stewart his daughter, wife of thomas quinn, and potentially another daughter isabelle, but also, margaret middlemist apparently died a spinster, so im not sure if the children were a product of an affair or jst a 2nd unmarried relationship, but yeah that is the one, i have the info of the staying at mid arthur place in dumbiedykes, and he was also a witness at his neices death in colinton, i do have some info on george its the all his family that are seemingly non exsistent lol

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Mmm...likely Margararet and George may not have married - can't see a possible entry and you say you found Margararet's death entry showed her as unmarried.

To narrow down your dates, you could check the Scottish 1911 census to see who George was lving with at the time (Lizzie or Margaret).

Monica

PS: I am going to post some other bits on the generation up in Caithness on that post of yours on that board...trying to keep your info so that it makes sense otherwise it will get confusing.