Author Topic: Quin/Quinn  (Read 1934 times)

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quin/Quinn
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help, my grandfather thomas quinn born 1917, died 1995, edinburgh, i cant get any info on him, i believe his father or grandfather was a patrick, and possibly owen as patricks father, i have heard they came up from durham or northumberland i was wondering if anyone knew of them or if they go back to a line someone else is working on?

Cheers Ryan

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quin/Quinn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate posting http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=583823.new#new

In March qtr 1917, there are 2 Thomas Quinn's born in the Chester-le-Street registration district.
Also a Thomas B Quinn born in the Hexham district.

September qtr 1917 there is a Thomas Quinn born Durham district, and another born South Shields district.

December qtr 1917 there is a Thomas Quinn born Newcastle Upon Tyne district.

Knowing his mother's maiden name (from his marriage certificate) would help! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya cheers for that,

Would it help if i told you some of Thomas's siblings, he had a brother William (Bill), sister Mary or Margaret possibly both, and the names James and Andrew are familiar, i know for a Fact about Bill and 2 sisters my mother remembers them vaguely as a child, and i made contact with bills daughter on GenesReunited,...

Could you possibly give me the info i am looking for with the siblings i have given you i know the names i have mentioned are all very popular names of that time, but im hoping the fact bill is a definite and there is at least one sister with either name of mary or margaret could narrow it down a bit i would really be gratefull if you could help me im sorry if im being a pain or anything

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:25 GMT (UK) »
hi sorry rose i dont actually have the birth certificate i jst remember there was complications with the death certificate as the spelling was difrent we had to prove the name actually had 2 nn's in it, well grandfather did as it thomas b.1917 was my ggrandfather and it was my grandads father, im sure he told me thomas b.1917d.1995s father is buried in mount vernon edinburgh but his grave might not be marked or something,

i can tell you about siblings, Thomas 3 definite siblings, William, and one of the sisters was Mary or Margaret that is possibly the name of both sisters, potential other siblings are James and Andrew, but not definite and the name Owen and Patrick do come up aswell, there could be other potential siblings of course that i dont know about and the ones i already think are potential siblings could even be aunts uncles cousins or fathers grandfathers etc,etc, that the trouble with researching a family so many common forenames and surnames it gets confusin who goes where, its like a thousand peace jigsaw and thats jst over a few generations lol

any help would be so much appreciated, Cheer Ryan

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:33 GMT (UK) »
To go any further, and as Quinn is such a common name in the North East, you really need to know Thomas's mother's maiden name.
Preferably both parents full names!

There are about 30 William Quinn's born in Northumberland and Durham between 1911 and 1925.
None of them appear to have the same mmn as any of the Thomas Quinns I found.

Dates of birth of any of the siblings might help, too.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I believe his father or grandfather was a patrick,

His marriage would confirm who his father was.  Who did he marry?

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TrueScot-Edin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 15:55 GMT (UK) »
he married margaret stewart in edinburgh not sure the year possibly the 1940s if that could bring any light on the matter? rosire you could be my saviour of endless headaches and brick walls thankyou so much

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 12 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I understand that Scottish certificates have a lot more information than English ones. Sadly I have no Scottish origins and don't have access to online records other than familysearch which is free to view.  I would think that your best route is to start at what you know ie. this marriage and work back from it.

Sorry I can't help any more at this time.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
They married in Edinburgh City in 1939 St. Giles district.  You cannot view the pages online but you can order the extract through Scotand's People website  685/04  0203.  The marriage should give all the parental names including mother's maiden name. 

The other thing would be to get his death cert.  It is registered under Quin and Quinn.  On the Scotland's People web site they do not put in mother's maiden name on death after a certain date--something like 50 years.  They did have another name associated with the death and that was Kelly but does not give details of that name--could be the last name of the registrar.  If you ordered the extract they will give you the mother's maiden name-if known by the informant. 734/00  0544

Either way you will get the information but will have to pay for it.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk