Author Topic: LALLY Caraun  (Read 6533 times)

Offline rosme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LALLY Caraun
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 17:49 GMT (UK) »
My 2x gtgrandfather was Patrick Lally, married to Mary Cosgrove, living at Garryredmond 1820s. There was also a family of Lallys, John Lally married to Margaret Walsh, living in Caraun.

Family oral history says the 2 families were related but I can't find a connection. Can anyone tell me if there are still Lallys living in Caraun?

I would be grateful for any information or suggestions as to where I could look.
Thanks Ros

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LALLY Caraun
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat  :)

You may want to take a look at Introduction to Irish Records

The Irish Census for 1901 and 1911 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

1820s is a very early period and you would be looking at Parish records, provided there were some. I am not sure either whether these would shows links between the families.

Here is another useful site http://mayo.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

If you are looking at modern times, you could try writing to the local church/ telephones (risky) /newspapers

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muckjack

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros,

I have a similar situation in my own family tree, an uncommon surname in a village, evidence that just the one man with this surname came to the village in the early 1800s from another area of Mayo (from Schools Folklore Collection), where the surname is common, but family oral tradition suggests that the families (only two) with the surname in the village today aren't related (though I think this is more to do with my family not wanting to be related to the other family).

From Griffiths Valuation, by 1856, there were two Lallys (both Patrick) in the parish of Kilcolman (parish for Garryredmond and Caraun) one in Caraun and one in Garryredmond. You can search Griffiths Valuation yourself for free online, just google it, and there's threads about it in the Ireland resources section.

The fact that the name was uncommon in this parish might suggest that John and Patrick were related. What sort of relationship is there supposed to be between the two families? If they were brothers then maybe looking at the names of their children might signify something. There was a pretty common naming tradition whereby the eldest son was named for the paternal grandfather, second son for the maternal grandfather and third son for the father. There was a similar tradition for daughters. If eldest sons and eldest/second eldest daughters names match up it would be a good indicator.

If you're in Ireland, a sometimes helpful source for the origins of families in an area is the Schools Folklore Collection, on microfilm in Mayo Co. Library, you can read about the collection on that website, but it depends on the material each school collected. I'm guessing you've already done some research with the usual sources if you have the couples names including wives maiden names.

I don't know if I'm allowed mention other websites but mayo-ireland.ie has discussion boards for local towns/villages in Mayo, the discussion boards are used a lot by people researching their family trees and it's a good website for more specific family/area/genealogy queries. I think Ballindine, Claremorris, Irishtown and Ballyhaunis would be the nearest towns to your villages, so it might be worth a shot leaving messages there about the Lallys, or even finding older posts there about them.

Good luck!

Offline rosme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for your replies and suggestions.

I traced my family back to Garryredmond and visited in 2009. The farm is now owned by American descendants of the family but I met the next door neighbour, John Foy.  He remembered a Jim Lally visiting the Lallys in the 1950s/60s and visiting Joe Lally in Irishtown and John said that they were all cousins. Joe is definitely part of my family.
My gtgrandfather Thomas Lally was born at Garryredmond in 1829 so it's possible that he and John were brothers and that the family originated in Garryredmond and a son moved to Caraun or vice versa. I've found some records for John's children in the Claremorris parish registers but the families were not godparents for each others children.
The only other information I have is that one of John's daughters married John Roach / Roche of Knockatober Caraun.
Your point about the names is well taken. I have 16 Patrick Lallys in my tree, then there's John, James Thomas and of course Mary.
Anyway thanks again
Ros

Offline Dlally

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,
My name is David Lally and my family lived in Caraun until 1998 - we were the last of the Lally's in the area.
We relocated to Claremorris town where all my siblings still live.
I'm surprised John Foy never mentioned us - he knows us quite well.
Feel free to get in touch if I can help further with your family tree.
Regards,
David

Offline rosme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Wow your message was a surprise. John Foy never mentioned your family but we were only there for a short while. I assume you are interested in family history as you are a member of this forum. My gtgrandfather Thomas was born in Garryredmond in 1829 and moved to Shanballymore between 1855 and 1858. I have a lot of information from then on but so far very little about the earlier period. I know he had a sister who married Patrick Nestor and a brother Patrick who stayed in Garryredmond but I  haven't been able to trace the Caraun connection.

I would be grateful for any information you could give me and would be more then happy to share any info I have with you.

Regards
Ros

Offline Tbrennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 01:20 BST (UK) »
John Roche married Mary Lally in 1878. One of their daughters, Nora Roche is my grandmother who immigrated to Savannah, Ga along with several of her sisters.  Do you know if any of the Roche family are still in the Claremorris area? I will be there this weekend and would like to know if I have any relatives who could fill us in on the Roche family. We know very little about what became of those in the family that remained in Ireland.

Offline Phylmayo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 August 19 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Ros
I have just joined Rootschat today after putting a search for Caraun and it came up with your post.
My family name is Lally and the family home was in Caruan, where I had a very happy childhood.
My grandfather was Patrick Lally and great grandfather John Lally both lived at Caraun.
I visited the South Mayo family research centre in Ballinrobe a couple of weeks ago and this morning received a booklet from them with details of who married who etc and names of children.
We were in Claremorris for a Lally family reunion and an anniversary mass for my brothers.I used to walk passed the lally house in Garryedmund on my way to school and knew Pat Lally also his son Shamus and daughter Maureen who emigrated to America. I know we were related to those Lallys but not sure how as yet. I am in the process of doing the family tree but have only just started. Please bear with me because I am a novice at this.I live in Lancashire. I will let you know how I progress.
Phil (Philomena)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 August 19 14:33 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Phylmayo  :)

Rosme (Ros) hasn't been on-line since February 2018, but if you post two more times (just using hi/hello etc), you can use the Personal Message (PM) system to contact Ros. If her e-mail hasn't changed she will get a notification of your PM.

See: https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

The townlands of Garryredmond and Caraun are to the east of Claremorris.
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/clanmorris/kilcolman/caraun/garryredmond/
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/clanmorris/kilcolman/caraun/caraun/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo