Author Topic: McElney/McElnea  (Read 4462 times)

Offline jimmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McElney/McElnea
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 August 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim are you related to Thomas McElney & Sarah Anderson.
Hi Lindy,
I don't know Thomas' first wife's name but they had a son William McElnay (b1852 d1936) at Portballintrae. Thomas later married Anne Smart in Monaghan 1861. William is my GGfather. I believe that Thomas parents were also Thomas and maybe Margaret Jackson

Offline lindylou123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 August 12 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy,
I don't know Thomas' first wife's name but they had a son William McElnay (b1852 d1936) at Portballintrae. Thomas later married Anne Smart in Monaghan 1861. William is my GGfather. I believe that Thomas parents were also Thomas and maybe Margaret Jackson
Hi Jim
I think we must be distant cousins. I am going to Belfast at the end of this month with my husband to do some further research. I am hoping to find a link to some of the McElney  families that I have discovered. I do have a family tree, but I need to find the descendants from my gggfather. His three brothers Thomas, Robert and George.
McElney, McElnea, Anderson, Watson, Hockmuth, Burnett, McKinley, Forster, Blenkinsop, Buscke, Lewis, Jackson, Curry, Lindsey, Hamilton,

Offline EllenMcKenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim and Lindy
Thomas McElnay/McElney, married Anne Smart in 1861, 25th November, at the Church of Ireland Parish Church, Donagh, Co Monaghan.  His father was named as James and was a farmer.  Thomas was also listed as a farmer at Duntonagh.  Anne was from Emyvale and her father was also called James and was a farmer.

Thomas and Anne moved around the north as he was a land Stewart. Some children were born in Omagh others in Belfast etc.

Thomas and Anne lived off and around Sandy row, Belfast and died in Belfast. They are buried in the City cemetery. There are two spellings of their surname, McElnay and Mcelney, both are on the head stones. Thomas died 9th March 1885,aged 57 and Anne died 30th December 1904, aged 54.

Hope you find this helpful.

There is also a head stone in the old graveyard at Portstewart in Agherton cemetery, Agherton Road, Portstewart that is of interested. It has Mathers McElnay on it. The head stone is old, looks like it could be 19th century.  Could this be the grave of Thomas McElnay/McElney first wife? Portstewart has a lot of Mathers, so she may have been from here.

Regards
Ellen

Hi Lindy,

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 20 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Good information, Ellen  :)

Note that Thomas McElnay's residence at the time of his marriage was the townland of Dundonagh, SSE of Emyvale.
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/trough/donagh/enagh/dundonagh/
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1861/09615/5487120.pdf

When Ann(e) died in 1904 at Sextons House, City Cemetery, the informant was her son-in-law Daniel McCann.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05613/4578734.pdf

He married Emily McElnay in 1900 and gave his occupation as Assistant Superintendent in the City Cemetery. Note the occupation of his father George.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10351/5768127.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 March 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »

All Civil Reg Birth, Marriage and Death
results for Smart of Monaghan Reg District

LINK   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p6o/

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jimmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 March 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen many thanks for the info. I will have to lookup the gravestone in Portstewart. Jim.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 March 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »

Marriage of Thomas McElney and Sarah Anderson on 10th September 1889 at Dunmurry Presbyterian Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10740/5916125.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline EllenMcKenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 March 20 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies to my message.

This is the information I have on Thomas and Ann McElnay.
Thomas and Ann McElnay had the following children:
Ellen McElnay 18th January 1864 at Craig, Bushmills. Land Stewart
Mary Jane McElnay 12th January 1868 at Drumnalkelly, Omagh district 2. Land Stewart
Elizabeth McElnay 18th June 1866 at Lisonkelly, Omagh. Labourer
Emily McElnay around 1877. Land agent from her marriage cert, have not found her birth certificate.
Annie McElnay about 1867. Labourer again from her marriage certificate
Jeannie McElnay about 1876
John McElnay February 1873, Glenburn Alley, Belfast. Gardener from Death certificate
There may have been others that I have not found yet.

For more information about their burials go to www.dof.belfastcity.gov.uk for burial plots and information about their last address etc.

Ellen