Author Topic: Victorian photographers: Robert Cade, Alfred Henry Cade, John White  (Read 13464 times)

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victorian photographers: Robert Cade, Alfred Henry Cade, John White
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather, Robert Cade was a watchmaker in Ipswich but became a photographer in the early 1850's and set up a glass house for photography where he set up business taking portraits.  He left the business to his son, Alfred and daughter Clara who married John White. 
Robert took many photos to exhibitions in the 1850s and 1860's - photos of farm equipment, of Sparrow House - created with the collodion process.
I am wondering if anyone on this chat may have further information about him, CDV's taken by any of the three or information about his father, also called Robert, who founded a school in St Clements.
If not, I would appreciate any idea where I might go in Ipswich to find further information when I visit there in June.
Monmothshire:  HOUSE, THOMAS, EDWARDS
Somerset:  HOUSE
Norfolk:  SIMPSON, THOMPSON, GRAPES, SPOONER, LOWNE, HOOKS, FOX
Suffolk:  CADE
Essex:  UNDERWOOD, CADE, DARBY
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN
Wiltshire:  BUTT, HOUSE, GILES
Leicestershire:   GREENWAY
Denbeighshire & Shropshire:  EDWARDS, POSTLE, ROBERTS, HUMPHREYS, MORRIS
Lancashire:  BANNER, COZENS

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian photographers: Robert Cade, Alfred Henry Cade, John White
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 12 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stormybay

As you do not seem to have had any response to your post I will give you what I have found in the hope it might start the ball rolling, although I suspect you probably have most of this already, but perhaps someone will find more for you from this info:)

1851  Robert CADE 30 born Vauxhall, wife Maria 29 born Lambeth, Robert 8, Alfred 7, William 6 & Clara 3 all born Vauxhall.  Living in Fore Street, Ipswich.

Robert CADE married Maria UNDERWOOD 4 Jan 1842 St Botolph without Aldgate (City of London PRs entry no 252).  GF: Robert CADE - printer BF: Jeremiah UNDERWOOD.  Wit: Joseph West & Esther West.  All signed.

Robert CADE bpt 10 NOv 1822 Finsbury St Luke parents Robert CADE (printer) & Fanny  (Source - PRs)

Robert CADE married Fanny WALKER 8 Dec 1816 Finsbury St Luke. Wit:  Cornelius Walker & Sophia Read. (Source PRs)

Robert CADE Schoolmaster & Parish Clerk died 19 Sep 1864 (National Probate Calenders)

Robert CADE Buried 24 Sep 1864 age 70 Ipswich St Clement (Suffolk Burial Index)

Robert CADE of Ringham Road (photographer) d. 22 Oct 1879 Buried 27 Oct 1879 age 59 buried Ipswich Cemetery.  It also notes Beaumont St Portland Place, London. (Suffolk Burial Index).

The best place to start your search would probably be the Suffolk Record Office in Gateacre Road, Ipswich http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/sro.  You could also try searching the Newspaper Archives http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/  Ipswich Journal might be a good starting point for anything relating to the family in Suffolk.

Enjoy your visit
keziah

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 12 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Alfred and his daughter Clara are the ones in the will?
Have I got this right, thank you.
1881 Alfred H is 47 and Clara E 7 years.
Ipswich.
Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stormybay...This should be of interest to you:

http://family-history.wikispaces.com/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you been in touch with Ipswich Record Office with regard to the Suffolk Photographic Survey?  I wonder if they hold any information?

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stormybay,

It might be worth contacting David Kindred - www.kindred-spirit.co.uk - who has an interest in old photographs and photographers in the Ipswich area.  If anyone can point you in the right direction I'd guess it would be him.

It would also be worth contacting the Ipswich museum service to see what records they might hold - if the CADE's were portrait photographers then there's a chance they took photographs of important people or events in the town which may have survived in the archives.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Nick

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
You may already have this .....

From A2A

15r in Hampton Road, Ipswich

Conveyance from Robert Cade of Ipswich, photographer, to Alfred Fulcher senior of the same, boot and shoe maker, with plan. [Suffolk, Ipswich Branch, RECORDS OF ROUSE FAMILY...]
These documents are held at: Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich Branch

Agree with Nick  ;) give David a call, if anyone knows about Suffolk and photography - he's your bor!

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 12 13:18 GMT (UK) »
My goodness - a bit like buses.  You don't see one for days & then they all come at once ;D

There are lots of photos of the Cade family on Ancestry - probably yours!

K

Offline Stormybay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 12 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow!   You people are amazing. 
You have covered the "waterfront" in these few emails.  Yes, I do have the ancestry.co.uk information and the census stuff and have ordered up just about all of the birth, death, marriage certificates I can find.  You have captured most of that in your work here.  Robert Senior died in 1864 of asthma!  He had founded St Clements School in Ipswich and died in Church Lane.  His son, Robert the photographer died, unfortunately of sarcoma of the thyroid in 1879!  But he seems to have died in London in a hospital which is where the Chinese embassy might now be located  -  I did not have the burial information so that has helped me.  The photographs came from a cousin in the line of his daughter Clara White who was also a photographer and knew the value of the photos.  And I have since found a range of CDV's but they are not identified unfortunately.  I hope that I will soon have enough to create a web page for him as his place was significant in the development of this art.  He did not discover the collodion process but did take a portrait of Frederick Archer who has been credited with that discovery and so I am sure they were colleagues. 

I am going to Ipswich in June and will follow up with your suggestions and I will contact David as you suggested.  Should anyone else  have an idea about ancient photos, I would be most appreciative.

Many thank yous!!!

I have attached a copy of a self-portrait of Robert - looks similar to one I have seen of Dickens at his desk - guess that was the flavour of the times.  Very dramatic! 

Monmothshire:  HOUSE, THOMAS, EDWARDS
Somerset:  HOUSE
Norfolk:  SIMPSON, THOMPSON, GRAPES, SPOONER, LOWNE, HOOKS, FOX
Suffolk:  CADE
Essex:  UNDERWOOD, CADE, DARBY
London & Middlesex:  THOMPSON, COCKRAM, CADE, BUTT, BANNER, MIDDLETON, NORRIS, DUNN
Wiltshire:  BUTT, HOUSE, GILES
Leicestershire:   GREENWAY
Denbeighshire & Shropshire:  EDWARDS, POSTLE, ROBERTS, HUMPHREYS, MORRIS
Lancashire:  BANNER, COZENS