Author Topic: Mac Donnell family Fitzwilliam Lane 1911 Census  (Read 7245 times)

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Donnell family Fitzwilliam Lane 1911 Census
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Whatever about the church record make sure to follow Tara's suggestion and order the civil register photocopy from the GRO, using the details and instructions link in Shane's post.  The only thing I'd add is that as you seem to be in or near Dublin, as an alternative to ordering from Roscommon and waiting a few weeks, you can buy the records on the spot in the GRO's Research Room in the Irish Life buildings in Lr Abbey St.
www.groireland.ie

The civil register details will give you father's occupation which you can then cross-check against the likely father's occupation in the 1911 census. 

Offline Johanna57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 March 12 11:53 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks for all your help, will drop in to Irish Life in Abbey Street

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 March 12 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Super !

Give us a shout when you have more info !

Tara

Offline ocleirigh79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 07 May 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hey Johanna,

My name is Ian Clarke (from Wicklow).  I am Rosemary Swaine's son.  My mother must be your cousin!??

A few weeks ago I figured out that Thomas McDonnell must have been born out of wedlock.  I see you were on the same trail a few years ago.  Did you find out anything else? 

I see from your post that you thought there was a Booterstown connection.  My mother has told me the same thing.  I have a couple of leads for Thomas' birth and will go into the General Records Office in June to pursue them when I get the chance.

PS.  I have plenty of information on the the Meehan's and McDonnell's if you would like me to pass it on.

Offline Johanna57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 May 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi O Cleirigh79, yes I am your Mams cousin Monica Martin, I did some research  but never actually went in to the General Records Office. Yes I did find out that my Grandad was born out of wedlock but one of my older cousins had told me that. He lived when he was a teenager with his fathers family, his father was also Thomas.

The Booterstown connection was on the Meehan side I have a document from Deans Grange Cemetary
giving an adress in Booterstown for Thomas Meehan my Nanas father. I met Declan a while ago I live very near him and can drop a copy of that document around to him for you.I will give him my email address too if you could pass on your information. Thanks regards to your Mam

Offline ocleirigh79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 May 16 14:19 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant Monica.

You will be amazed at some of the information I have on the Meehan side.  I even have a newspaper article on my great grandfather Thomas McDonnell too.

Thomas Meehan's mother's family, the Dormans, lived out in Booterstown by the way.  I am looking forward to seeing your document.

I live a few minutes away from Declan.  I will email him a link to all the documents which he can then forward on to you.  You will have my email then in the forwarded message.

I will pass on your regards to my mam.

Best wishes,

Ian.

Offline kippers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Peter McDonnell was my grandfather and married Mary Ellen Brennan , also of Fitzwilliam Lane. My mother used to tell me that Peter had a brother called Andrew who served in the British army during WW1 but who was killed in Dublin ‘ by the British ‘ and that his body had lain in the street for 2-3 days before the British allowed his mother ( my great grandmother ) to recover it . Looking at threads on the internet I think Andrew was the civilian killed near Clanwilliam House during the battle of Mount Street bridge / Boland’s mill.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline kippers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 January 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if I’m confusing matters here but my grandfather , Peter McDonnell , is the one on the 1911 census form for 11.6 Fitzwilliam Lane and who married Mary Ellen Brennan who is on the 1911 census form living at 2 Fitzwilliam Lane. My mother Christina , their daughter ( born 26/12/28 ) lived in Fitzwilliam Lane but not sure if this was at 2 or 11.6. She moved to Clonard Rd , Dublin with her parents at the end of the thirties.Peter’s brother , Andrew , is as far as I know , the civilian shot near Clanwilliam House during the Rising.