Author Topic: Birth Lookup, Please? Olive Ann Powell, Aber, 1839?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Birth Lookup, Please? Olive Ann Powell, Aber, 1839?
« on: Monday 27 February 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I may be following a red herring ... however ... in view of finding that the only daughter (so I thought!) of my ancestors reportedly died as an infant in 1837, I was somewhat confused to find that another daughter using the same name appeared, in the 1851 Census, staying with an aunt in Marylebone.  So my question is ... did her parents, Charles James Powell and his wife Ann (nee Morgan), have another daughter a couple of years later in 1839?  And why have I not been able to find her birth?

:-\
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Lookup, Please? Olive Ann Powell, Aber, 1839?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb D

My apologies if you have this alreadly and I realise this is not quite what you asked for but I am wondering whether it might offer clues as to whether the Olive Ann Powell that you have found is linked to this family:-

National Probate Calender

The Rev William Powell Effects Under £450 17 November 1863
Letters of Administration of the Personal Estate and effects of the Rev William Powell late of Cheltenham in the County on Gloucester Clerk a widower deceased who died 26 April 1863 at Cheltenham aforesaid were granted at the Principal Registry to Charles James Powell of Abergavenny in the County of Monmouth Gentleman the Son of the said deceased he having been first sworn

Regards

Z :)

To add: I cannot seem to find a birth either how strange? Although there is a possible marriage Freebmd Olive Anne Powell and on the same page John Henry Bright Dec 1863 Dist Whitehaven Vol 10b Pg837

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Ann Olive/Olive Ann was/were the granddaughter/s of the Rev. William, and daughter/s of Charles James.

Thanks heaps, incidentally, but I had already found that Probate notice  :)

Cheers
Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Just to mention I see that there is someone else on here who has also been looking into the same family - sorry but I am unsure of how to provide a link - maybe worth a look though :)

All the best

Z :)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Ooh, thank you for that - I'll see if I can find it.

You're right, Olive Ann Powell married Rev John Henry Bright in 1863.  I have her Probate notice, too - nothing left to her children!  :o

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
if the other person is a poster called Eddo, I'm pretty sure Deb is already in touch.

As I mentioned many moons ago on a post about this family, she may not have been registered. The onus of registration wasn't on the parents at that time, but on the registrar.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Osprey.  Yes, Eddo and I are still corresponding; she's my Dad's first cousin.

Looking very much as if "didn't bother to register" was the case, isn't it?

Cheers
Deb

Offline Kaydenise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb D,off at a tangent I know,but my husband is a direct line from Rev williams brother Walter.In the priory in Abergavenny there is a portrait of William and we have one of Walter(peas in a pod).also hanging in the priory is the coat of arms which my husband wears as his signet ring.

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaydenise,
Lovely to hear something on this thread after so long! I would love to see those portraits - and the ring and coat of arms in the priory ... but I’m on the opposite side of “the rock”, with little or no hope of getting there ☹️
Thank you so much for the information, though - much appreciated
Cheers
Deb