Author Topic: *important update* known issue on familysearch Rhode Island 1905 collection  (Read 1784 times)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Important Update:

It appears the problem detailed in the thread below is a known issue, but to which they reply "At this time FamilySearch has no system for correcting indexes, but plans for that ability in the future". To 'alert' people to the issue, it seems they already  have  a message in their Wiki article (I wouldn't particularly have read the wiki and am sure many others wouldn't have either). To reach same, once on the collection search  page itself https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1542866 you would have to click on one of  the Learn More buttons then scroll down quite far in the article to then read the message.

I have respectfully suggested that the 'Known Issues' alert box would be better placed on the collection search page itself.

Hello

Potential Index Problem

Just to satisfy myself that it wasn't a random happening, would some kind soul with Rhode Island research and who is already certain of the birth country of the individual's parents, please run a search for the individual in the familysearch Rhode Island 1905 index....

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1542866

If the transcription information for parents country of birth is not as expected, could you then please view the image and make sure you use the arrow to go to reverse side of same (where the parents place of birth is captured). When you do, is the image giving the place/s you would have expected rather than what is shown on the transcript?

I have checked several today and my suspicions were aroused when, for example, a number of individual's born Ireland, apparently, according to transcript, had parents born, for example, USA or Canada.....now whilst that is not impossible, usually emigration was the other way (can't imagine too may Americans or Canadians of the day rushing to Ireland on a whim to give birth there).....so I then checked images.....and the images had the places of birth I would have expected, eg Ireland, Scotland etc.

I have tried reporting this to Familysearch via their online chat system...but to no avail....before I report it via another method, I thought it best to check that others were having same experience.

Thanks in advance.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Would anyone with Rhode Island research please read, thanks:
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm...

1) John Toye born 1845 Ireland in Pawtucket, parents born Ireland (matches card)

2) Mary C. Toye born 10 May Nova Scotia in Providence, parents born England (Nova Scotia for both on card)

3) Bridget M. Toye born 1872 Ireland in Providence, father- Rhode Island mother- Pennsylvania (on card Bridget and both parents born 'Ire')

Need any more esxamples?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Mmmmm...so some are correctly matching (well, 1 out of 3 in your examples)....maybe it was only one/a few transcribers who somehow mixed up things. I had about 6 or so yesterday that were all not matching. Thanks for testing.

Probably still best I let familysearch know and best if any rootschatters needing to use the indexes double check the image if they think something seems odd about the info on the transcript (as most will no doubt probably do anyhow).

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hard to tell if it's a widespread problem with my 3 examples but feel free to use them if you want to report the problem to FamilySearch. From past experience they do list to feedback and will check into this.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Have just checked Elizabeth Simister. It has England (correctly) as her birth country, but has Ireland for 'parents'. Her father was born in Lancashire, England and her mother in Cheshire.

I don't want an account right now so couldn't go to the original image :-\
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look for you and the reverse of image correctly says England for both mother and father, so yet another one where the transcript is wrong.

Have sent contact form to familysearch.....hopefully they can fix the issue soon.

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
thank you scotmum. L think some people think that Ireland is the 'old country' ???
for a long time one site listed anyone born in Ceri, MGM as born in Ireland too. They took a lot of convincing that it wasn't Kerry in Ireland, In fact I'm still not certain that they're totally convinced even now. ::)
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *important update* known issue on familysearch Rhode Island 1905 collection
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 March 12 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I've added an update at my first post above.