Author Topic: Thomas Richard Hopkins b 1883  (Read 10745 times)

Offline gava44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thomas Richard Hopkins b 1883
    • View Profile
Thomas Richard Hopkins b 1883
« on: Monday 27 February 12 23:03 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Thomas Richard was adopted at age 12 or 13 from an orphanage in Chicago (St Josephs, 35th street) Illinois in 1895, he kept his birth name of Hopkins. He believed that he may have had a sister who visited him in the orphanage. He was a half orphan, father living mother dead. His father was thought to be a streetcar operator who at some point died on the job. His mother was thought to have died during his childbirth. He didn't get dropped off at the orphanage until he was six years old.  Recent DNA testing places our Hopkins line from Roscommon.
My Grandfather believed he was Irish, now we know he was and that we are.  We believe that he was born in 1883 in Illinois.  My profile picture is Thomas.
My Grandfather Thomas Richard was adopted at age 12 or 13 from an orphanage in Chicago (St Josephs, 35th street) Illinois in 1895, he kept his birth name of Hopkins. He believed that he may have had a sister who visited him in the orphanage. He was a half orphan, father living mother dead. His father was thought to be a streetcar operator who at some point died on the job. His mother was thought to have died during his childbirth. He didn't get dropped off at the orphanage until he was six years

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Richard Hopkins b 1883
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. In order to find out details of your Irish ancestors/relatives you need to find the family in U.S. records to get information such as father's name, mother's name, etc.
Have you tried searching the Hopkins in Chicago yet?
Any way to see if there are records from where Thomas was placed in care?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gava44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
The family research has gone on for many years, no records exist, or we have not found them yet.  It is difficult as we do not even know his birth date for certain.  We are calculating his birth month and year from the 1900 census (the first census that we find him in with his new adoptive family.  That census list him as 12 years old born in Illinois in May, his parents both born in Ireland.  We have a letter and a copy of the hand written log book from the orphanage, that and the census makes us believe that he was born in May of 1883.  We are unable to find earlier records that match the information that we have.  I am currently researching a Hopkins family in the LaSalle County Illinois area from Galway that lived near my Grandfather during this time.  We are researching the Irish Catholic of Lasalle County Illinois.  There are Whites, Egans, Flanagans, Finnigans, Moores, Hogans, Healys........and Hopkins.  When you find one of these Irish families, you will find another.  One day I will find a connection, however just found your site and thought I would post my mystery.
My Grandfather Thomas Richard was adopted at age 12 or 13 from an orphanage in Chicago (St Josephs, 35th street) Illinois in 1895, he kept his birth name of Hopkins. He believed that he may have had a sister who visited him in the orphanage. He was a half orphan, father living mother dead. His father was thought to be a streetcar operator who at some point died on the job. His mother was thought to have died during his childbirth. He didn't get dropped off at the orphanage until he was six years

Offline gava44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 00:09 GMT (UK) »
... and one never knows where the next lead will turn up.  This picutre is a good example of our Hopkins family traits as well. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There is a probable mistake in your information- you say Thomas is 12 yrs in 1900 census but born in 1883  :-\ Presumably he is 17 yrs or so in 1900?

It's sad that the orphanage record doesn't list his parents' names.

I don't know much about US records but maybe there is a death record around the time of Thomas' birth which could be investigated?

Are there any baptisms - perhaps siblings? Was he born in Chicago?

Family Search has various records with Hopkins families in Illinois who were Irish. Scrutiny of those may help.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IrishHopkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 13 05:37 BST (UK) »
Thomas was born in 1883.
He was orphaned in 1889.
He was removed from the orphanage in 1895.
The 1900 Illinois Federal Census has him born in Illinois.
Both his parents are born in Ireland.

My DNA matches are near Castlebar/Crossmolina and Swineford in Co Mayo
and
Baghadreen and Boyle in Co Roscommon.
All four matches are Hopkins.
Each varies in mutation distance.

The 2 in Co Mayo and I have done further testing to conclusively prove a common father in the distant past. We have markers that may well prove to be private to our family.
We hope more Hopkins will get on board with DNA testing.

One Hopkins of Glamorgan Wales matched a Hopkins from Co Wicklow in Ireland and a Hopkins near Glasgow. They are all R1a and match each other perfectly. Further testing is underway.
I'm R1b.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 June 13 20:19 BST (UK) »
Was Thomas alive as of 1917/1918 and 1942?  If he was and he wasn't already in the military, then he would likely have been required to complete WWI and WWII draft registration cards.  They are available on www.familysearch.org and often give a date and place of birth.  I don't see a Thomas Hopkins with a May 1883 birth date, but it's not uncomon for birth dates to be off by a year or so.  If he was still around then, it might be worth looking under his adoptive parents' names. 

If there's any information on him beyond the 1900 census, it may help to find some additional clues.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 June 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Is your Thomas the one who is an adopted son with Peter White in 1900. That one is 13 yrs and born 1887 so perhaps not.  :-\

Who removed him from the orphanage - do you have any records?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IrishHopkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 June 13 09:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, you have the right family.
He was in the family of Mike and Pete White.
He's in the 1900 Illinois Federal Census.
If you look at the original and not the typed version of the census, they read differently.

There are 4 Thomas Hopkins born in Illinois around 1900.
3 after 1900, 1 born 1882.
There is another born 1886/87, but this would be a real stretch. He was 6 years old when he entered the orphanage in 1889.

There are two death certificates for women, 1 in 1883 and 1 in 1889.
The one in 1889 is a Cathrine Hopkins. She was born in Co. Roscommon.
If memory serves me correctly, they attended St. Jarleth's, in Chicago.

I have Thomas' draft card, marriage record, death certificate.
He died in 1955. He celebrated his birthday as January as that was when he was taken from the orphanage and his life began.
I have correspondence between the orphanage and my dad, regarding Thomas' records.
I called and wrote the orphanage many times before they closed.
I've been in contact with the archives of the records, since the institution officially closed.

He never took the name White, legally.
His name is all his parent's left him.