Author Topic: Fife Herald 1833 - McRitchie  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandpa John 1836-1900
    • View Profile
Fife Herald 1833 - McRitchie
« on: Tuesday 28 February 12 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Please could anyone help with access to the Fife Herald of 1833? The archives seem fragmented and refer to later dates.

The Fife FHS death index lists one of my family, David McRitchie fisherman South Queensferry, who was drowned. The source is given as Fife Herald 9/5/1833. I would be very grateful if anyone knows where this edition might be -- even more grateful if I could obtain a transcript!

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fife Herald 1833 - McRitchie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:25 GMT (UK) »
There are copies at the British Library Newspapers at Colindale, but that's either a matter of going there yourself or getting a researcher to go for you.
The new online service has the title from 1844 only.
Have you tried the Fife library service - local studies collection?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ferryman

Couldn't get a copy of the Fife Herald for that date but here is another publication:-
Fifeshire Journal, Saturday May 11 1833 p.3
"Inverkeithing
On the evening of 4th inst., as David McRitchie, fisherman at North Queensferry, was proceeding to examine the moorings of his boat in the harbour of that village, he fell into the water and was unfortunately drowned. His body was found next morning at the place where he met his premature death. It is believed he had been stunned by the fall from the pier, as the water scarcely covered his body when discovered."

Rather more prosaic than a death at sea I'm afraid.

Dod

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat to the rescue once again, this is exactly what I was looking for! My ancestors named children Alexander, David, James or John so we'll never know his relationship but it's one of the last pieces in our jigsaw.
Many, many thanks to Dod and everyone who has helped.
Michael

Offline Talarakid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 04:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a letter online - on the Prince Edward Island "Island Register" which mentions the drowning of David McRitchie.  If interested, let me know and I can send the link.

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I and my family would be very grateful for this link, thanks very much!

Offline Talarakid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
http://www.islandregister.com/letters/ethomson1834.html

This is a letter sent in 1834 from North Queensferry.  It is from Elizabeth Thomson to her brother, David John Thomson, in Dublin.  David John Thomson was my great great grandfather.  Elizabeth was a school teacher  in North Queensferry and never married.  At this time, she was living with her neice, Charlotte Bell McRitchie, wife of Alexander McRitchie.  I am related to the McRitchies as David John Thomson's grandmother was Helen McRitchie, born around 1750 I believe.  I have never been able to find her birth/baptism so don't know who her parents were.  David John Thomson's parents were James Thomson and Hellen Bell.  Her parents were James Bell and Helen McRitchie.  Are you the person in Northern Ireland that wrote a book on the McRitchies of N. Queensferry???

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 March 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the letter, another piece in the jigsaw! We have a lead to your Helen McRitchie, and have sent you a PM.

Offline Talarakid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 13 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Correction to my previous post:  Elizabeth McRitchie would have been born ca 1725.