Author Topic: Roman Catholic marriages /burials Cockermouth  (Read 6386 times)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic marriages /burials Cockermouth
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 March 13 20:20 GMT (UK) »
And your sarcasm is most worthy of a slot on Radio 96's happy hour.  If you read the thread from the start you will see where my point was coming from.  The OP assumed because the reg district said Cockermouth then the person must have been married there.  No one pointed this out and compounded this error by going on about RC priests not being registrars as well.

It was further compounded with the mention of French RC weddings where actually in France any marriage has to take place at the Mairie (town hall) for it to be legitimate.  The church then bless the marriage. 

I could go on but I wont share my 30 odd years experience with you any more

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Latzko Hogg-Wilde

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 July 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
Dominic was a curious itinerant character. As "Dominick Burgine" he married Jane Cartmel in Workington in 1858. She ran a shop. He was a "herbalist" twice, a traveller (such as in the 1861 census at Ambleside - wife in Workington), and was in trouble with the law at least once. He was latterly in Cockermouth Workhouse (1901), a "peddler (hawker)".

Stephen

Dominic Burgoyne was my mother's mother's father, but we have little information about him, and would like more. It sounds like you know quite a bit about him, Stephen. I realize this is an old thread. I'm in Canada. Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 July 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
I was in touch with a Canadian descendant of his (Susan Forgeron), in St. Catharines, Ontario, during 2010 and 2011. She contacted St Beghs Church and got some info on him - which she forwarded to me. I could maybe put the info on here as an attachment.

Stephen

Offline Latzko Hogg-Wilde

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 July 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
I was in touch with a Canadian descendant of his (Susan Forgeron), in St. Catharines, Ontario, during 2010 and 2011. She contacted St Beghs Church and got some info on him - which she forwarded to me. I could maybe put the info on here as an attachment.

Stephen

I would appreciate it very much if you could do that, Stephen.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Nick