Author Topic: Turnbull/Boyd  (Read 1662 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turnbull/Boyd
« on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Trying to authenticate the death of Jane Boyd who married a George Turnbull on 27 Jan 1854.   He died on 8 Mar 1890 and DC confirms his wife as JB.   I have tried on SP to find her death but to no avail (and at the cost of quite a few credits!).   Also not able to see if she married again???

He died in Jedburgh (Deans Close)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull/Boyd
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

Going by the 1881 / 1891 / 1901 census I would have thought that Jane Turnbull(other surname Boyd) death 1910 Jedburgh Roxburgh , birth year c1825 is the one  :-\

ev

Added -

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=200154&id=P-1806853719
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:30 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 jane was living with her family at wooden mill she was born at jedburgh and children were born in kelso it states she was 34 and if her husband  died in 1890 she would be in her 60's - probably unlikely she married again.

Did you search for her under Turnbull or Boyd in Scotland records the maiden name is used throughout whether the woman married or not - the woman only adopts the husband name when they married, in official records BMD she keeps her maiden name. - sometimes if they marry the name will be linked.

This makes searching women easier than in other countries like England.

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull/Boyd - COMPLETE
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much.   I have been a complete idiot and have spent quite a few credits on this.

In all my searching I have put her DOB as 1831 which has been completely wrong!

BIG lesson learnt here

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Been there done that  ;D

I have one certificate where there is 10 years difference between the age given and the actual year of birth.
I don't want to tell you how many credits I used finding that one  :'(

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records