Author Topic: MI's for Old Deer cemetery  (Read 8932 times)

Offline MaryS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
MI's for Old Deer cemetery
« on: Tuesday 28 February 12 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if a publication for the Old Deer cemetery is in the works or if it already exists somewhere?  I am looking for ancestors buried at New Deer and Old Deer.  I am looking for the names Keith and Watt
Mather, Bell, Millar, Binnie, Lauder, Hunter, Cranston

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
Re: MI's for Old Deer cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I'd get in touch with the Aberdeen & North East Family History Society.  It could be that Old Deer is part of their unpublished MIs, which is why it's not on their index.  Or they'll be able to tell you if indeed it's been done!

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I know that Old Deer cemetery hasn't been published, nor the 2 kirkyards of Old Deer. I do have a copy of the New Deer Kirkyard & could look for your ancestors if you'd like. What are their full names?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:16 GMT (UK) »
The ANESFHS does have an unpublished draft for Old Deer. I have a published copy of their New Deer volume. Let me know if there are any particular people you are looking for in New Deer.

Graham.

Offline MaryS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response!  I will look into the Old Deer publication further.  If you could check the New Deer publication for me I would be most grateful.

I am looking for Alexander Keith and Catharine Watt.  Their youngest child was born in 1806, so I would guess their birthdates to be around 1786.  The Watts are from Auchreddie, and I think the Keith's lived closer to Old Deer.  Alex and Catharine had 9 children between 1806 to 1820 and I think there were more but haven't found them yet.  Their son Alexander Keith died 26 Mar. 1856 and I do not know where he is buried.

Thank you very much for your help!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 20:36 GMT (UK) »
There is no mention of them in the New Deer index. However, you should easily find where their son was buried. At this period a Scottish death certificate had a column stating the place of burial, usually witnessed by the sexton or an undertaker. If you have the death certificate, look at it again.

Graham.

Offline MaryS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking up New Deer for me.  I do not have a death certificate for Alex Keith....only the OPR from Scot. People. 

Thank you for you help!

Mary

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
That's strange - I don't know why there would be an OPR for Alexander if he died in 1856. Could the OPR death be for Alexander senior? There's an 1856 death, in scotlandspeople, in the parish of Old Deer, for an Alexander Keith. You say you don't have a death certificate for Alexander.Surely this would be his?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline MaryS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry....it's not from the OPR's.  It is the Stat. record from Scot. People.  Still doesn't list a cemetery.  I will have to wait for the Old Deer cemetery release!

Thanks again for the help.  Rootschat is invaluable for those of us who don't live in Scotland!

Mary