Author Topic: Derrykeighan-Dervock. Johnston & Hemphill  (Read 3537 times)

Offline hazmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Derrykeighan-Dervock. Johnston & Hemphill
« on: Sunday 15 May 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else researchin the surnames of Johnston and Hemphill from the Dervock and Derrykeighan areas, from <1873 to date?
Thanks
Don in Melbourne AU

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Derrykeighan-Dervock. Johnston & Hemphill
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hei Don,

Your message indicates you have done some research into these surnames.
What information are you lacking ?
There's no point posting messages duplicating info. you have gathered already.

Offline hazmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 05 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Christopher, sorry about my delayed response [Work dictates priorities - Grrrrr].
The point of my initial email was to generalise within a niched Townland area in the hope that I might get a hit, and then to freely share information that I have spent in excess of 20 years, pre and post Internet.  In all that time, apart from a few Hemphill connections, I have yet to locate anyone researching the [Very common] surname of JOHNSTON in Townlands close o Derrykeighan and Dervock, whether they be Presbyterian, Church of Ireland or RC's.
Best Wishes
Don Johnston in Melbourne AU

<Snip>
Hei Don, Your message indicates you have done some research into these surnames. What information are you lacking? There's no point posting messages duplicating info. you have gathered already.
<Unsnip>

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Don

That is so kind of you thinking of others....

if someone had not fallen into roots recently and noticed us looking for family that no one else had been looking for in all the years he had been researching...we would now not have a extra cousin...........even if he is 4 times removed.......it made our day

One day you'll make someones day............ ;D

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hemphill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Don,

I've just discovered this site today, so a bit new to it.  However I am looking for my husband's family called Hemphill.   They came to Scotland prior to 1873 and I've got a James born around 1849 and a George listed as Hamphill but I think its Hemphill born around 1830.  The census only lists them as coming from Ireland.  Do you have any connection?

Di

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 05 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Don

Not sure if there could be any relation or not, but I have a William Johnston married to a Mary Carson on August 6, 1846 in Ahoghill.

I know that the Carson side was from the Ahoghill area, but I am not sure about William Johnston. We have been unable so far to find any birth records for him.

We only have names of 5 of their children.
Martha b 1857
Henry b 1860
Mary b 1863
Elizabeth b June 14, 1865
Robert b January 14, 1869

At some point before 1881, they moved to Scotland.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie