Author Topic: St Audry's hospital, Melton, Suffolk  (Read 6132 times)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Re: St Audry's hospital, Melton, Suffolk
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 December 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hadn't seen this post before. A distant cousin Minnie Rose Simmonds (nee Mortlock) lived in the hospital lodge, she was the wife of the chief male nurse Henry John Simmons. She died in 1942.
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gunner1981

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help me please? I had my Great Great uncle in St Audry's for a long time since about 1902. I would like to know if his death was 1942 or 1944? His name was Frederick Sherman. He was born in 1863 at Framsden Suffolk. Some records record his birth year as 1861. (Census) He was a gardener before going in St. Audry's. I would be very grateful for any information on his death or any other information that is available. Thanks.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 April 19 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Gunner1981

The deaths of two men named Frederick SHARMAN (not SHERMAN), both recorded as 81 years old, were registered in Suffolk in the years you mention, one in the Deben district (which covered Melton) in 1942 Q2 (born 1860-61) and the other in the Ipswich district in 1944 Q2 (born 1862-63).

The latter is more likely to have been Frederick William SHARMAN, born in Ipswich on 20 Oct. 1862 to Henry SHARMAN and Mary Ann PRYKE, who were married in 1860 Q2 (along with James FULCHER and Mary Lyne GLEED). In 1939 Frederick W. SHARMAN, a general labourer, was living at 27 Bulstrode Road, Ipswich, with Charles S. GLEED (b. 1881) and Lizzie GLEED (b. 1883) who apparently married as Chartis Sydney GLEED and Lizzie SMITH in 1903.

Framsden was in the Bosmere registration district, where I see only one possible birth for your relative: Frederick SHARMAN (mother née TAYLOR) in 1859 Q3. Henry SHARMAN married Mary Anne TAYLOR in the same district in 1857 Q2. But 1859 is not 1863 and not exactly 1861, the year of birth given in the 1939 Register for Frederick SHARMAN, a patient at St Audry's Hospital.

Being a gardener, Frederick may well have worked under my mother's grandfather George Walter COOPER (1866-1951), who was the farm bailiff at St Audry's from 1917 to 1947.

David

Offline Gunner1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I now have the death certificate of Frederick Sharman and he died in St Audry's hospital on June 21st 1942. My problem is that there is no record of Frederick being buried at the burial ground at St Audry's nor is there a record of his burial at Framsden where he was born. I now believe he may have been buried in one of the unmarked graves which was uncovered in 2011 on the site of St Audry's but i do not know how to proceed to find out if this is true. I rang Ipswich crematorium up who confirmed that the date was registered but they have no record of his burial or cremation. Any help on this matter would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 May 19 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I may be able to offer a solution as my gg/gfather’s burial site was a mystery.
it some years to find and I eventually found he was buried in a local parish graveyard - not a church grave site.
Perhaps you could contact the local council to see if they are willing to help.

Good luck with your search.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 May 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
The council you'd need to contact is here: http://www.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/

(It used to be Suffolk Coastal District Council, but in April this year there was a merger with Waveney DC.  They're probably still settling in to the new arrangement so might not be their usual efficient selves.)

I used to live in the area and often drove past St Audry's.  It's a lovely part of the world :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch