Author Topic: Minnie Todd from Ashington England to Aukland New Zealand  (Read 11915 times)

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Todd from Ashington England to Aukland New Zealand
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 March 12 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Lucy and Carole can't thank you enough for trying to help me :)

Carole my mothers birth certificate doesn't mention grandparents names at all. I wish it did.

I don't know what the norm is in the UK. I'll have to check it out re. grandparents names. Maybe it's different in NZ.

I agree with you that we should go with Minnie 1904.

Carole thanks girl x

From what I have read so far the family didn't go together to New Zealand. Maybe older siblings went before and Minnie went later. If this is the case I will have to get my head round that. Minnie did leave England, I'm sure. I just don't know when and would like to establish that.

It means so much to me piecing together my mothers life and hoping someone in NZ will contact and fill in the gaps.

Lucy now ready to analyse all you have found. Thanks x

Patty

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 March 12 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Patty

It isn't the birth certificate the others were asking about, it is your grandparents (Samuel George Paterson and Minnie Todd) 1929 marriage certificate, which you say you have.

A New Zealand marriage certificate from 1929 will show the names of the parents of the bride and groom. Does this certificate show Minnie Todd's parents as John and Margaret?

A New Zealand birth certificate from that time will give the marriage date and location of the parents, but not anything of grandparents.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 March 12 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Sorry all. I feel like a real nincompoop  :-[

I've been looking at my mother's birth certificate! 

I've searched through my mother's papers and found her father's birth certificate and her parents marriage certificate.

Married on 17 May 1929 in Aukland.

Samuel George Paterson (age 24), birthplace Glasgow, Scotland, residence HMS Veronica Devonport, father James Paterson and mother Mary Paterson nee Turner.

Minnie Todd (age 25), birthplace Ashington, England, residence Aukland, father John Todd (miner) and mother Margaret Todd nee Foster.

John and Margaret!

Patty

Offline craigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 March 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
This ties in with the marriage in the March quarter 1890 in Morpeth between John Todd and Maggie Foster.
Cheers,
Craig.

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 02 March 12 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Lucy I've just been looking at your last post and see you have managed to find so much information relating to the family. Thanks for that.

Interesting that Minnie's mother seems to have emigrated too. It looks as though they all went out at different times. I wonder if any of the others (Minnie's siblings) also emigrated. I think I'll check that out as I have managed to get the hang of the Ancestry site / emigration  :D :-\

How would I go about finding out if Sarah and Charlotte had any children?

Does anyone have any idea about the information I noticed on my mother's birth certificate?: Parents (3) previous issue of existing marriage (3b) dead - number each sex - M - F.

Hi Craig I see you have just posted and yes it looks as though I'm on the right track now (eventually  ;))

Cheers to you (all) too  :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 March 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Patty

Parents details :   That's great .... it was vital for us to have that confirmation to be sure that we were following up on the correct family.   :)

I'll be back shortly to answer your latest questions (and add a little further info. )

Cheers
    ~  Lu

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 March 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked out Anderson Bay Cemetery site and they have some very helpful records indeed. Their records cover a number of cemeteries in the area.

I found Henry C Cameron's data. He died on the 19th July 1936 age 44. Occupation labourer. No one buried with him in the plot.

I've also found my great grandmothers death recorded at Anderson Bay Cemetery on 16th July 1937.

In the notes section it says widow, native of England and years in New Zealand 10. It would seem that she emigrated to New Zealand in / around 1927. This was about the same time a Minnie Todd emigrated to NZ on the Corinthic: December 1926.

It also indicates that she was buried with two others: Alexander William Carnahan (1 day old) died 24th August 1915 and Eva Mary Carnahan, the baby's mother I presume (aged 26), died 21st December 1919. There is also a map of the place of the burials - block 30 / plot 39. No headstone for them or Henry  :(

Checked out burials / cremations for Sarah, Charlotte, Donald and Henry Cameron's parents, John and Mary, to no avail.

Sarah Todd (Cooper / Cameron) doesn't seem to have had much luck! Widowed aged 23, again aged 41 and lost her mother the following year.

I wonder why my great grandmother was buried with Eva Carnahan and her baby? I wonder who these people were in fact: the Carnahans? She was married and must have left a husband (and children?) behind. Her address is recorded as being at 16 Nelson Street South Dunedin.

I went on to check out all persons named Carnahan buried in that area - no link.

I'm going to search for Margaret, Mary and Robert Todd (Minnie's siblings) to see if they emigrated too.

Patty

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 March 12 23:59 GMT (UK) »
My goodness I can't believe what I'm finding (mostly by accident  ;D). I was searching the ancestry site re. emigration and a box popped up with my grandmother's name on it. I then started having a look around and found a photograph of my great grandmother and Minnie's sister Mary (number of photographs). I see she (Mary) went to New Zealand too and there is some sort of family tree!!!!!!!!

I'm off to have another look  :)

Offline craigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patty,
You will see Robert Todd appears in the 1901 Census, but not in 1911, and sad to say there is a death for a Robert Todd in Morpeth June quarter 1902 aged 1.
Regards,
Craig.