Author Topic: Minnie Todd from Ashington England to Aukland New Zealand  (Read 11909 times)

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Todd from Ashington England to Aukland New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 12 01:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a Minnie TODD leaving Southampton on the Corinthic on 3 Dec 1926 for Wellington, NZ. She was a Domestic aged 23, and her last address in the UK was 4 Seaburn Terrace, Prudhoe.

Prudhoe appears to be in Northumberland, so could be your Minnie.

No sign of a Margaret, or siblings on the same ship.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 March 12 01:19 GMT (UK) »
There was a Charlotte TODD age 20, and a Sarah TODD age 18, on the Ionic, which left London on 18 July 1913, for New Zealand. They were both domestics, but nothing to say where they were from.

Ages fit with Minnie's older sisters though.

Ian C

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 12 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure Margaret Todd emigrated as I found this death which fits her birthyear

Deaths March qtr 1929  
Margaret Todd aged  63  Morpeth  10b 656
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 March 12 02:18 GMT (UK) »
There was a Charlotte TODD age 20, and a Sarah TODD age 18, on the Ionic, which left London on 18 July 1913, for New Zealand. They were both domestics, but nothing to say where they were from.

Ages fit with Minnie's older sisters though.

Ian C

Mmmm ... and possible NZ marriages (to a set of brothers) for "a Charlotte and Sarah TODD".   ???    Still working on discovering if these are possibilities ?

~  Lu

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 March 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks so much for your help  :)

I'm still trying to make sure we've found the right Minnie! I've tried the search engine in an attempt to find the other born around that time in Northumberland; to no avail. I don't know what I'm doing wrong  ::)

I'm doing this as Minnie may have been less than honest about her age when she got married.

I've got the Marriage Certificate that shows she married Samuel George Paterson in 1929 in Aukland NZ. She has stated that she was 25 at that time as was her husband.

I've been on the Ancestry site / emigration and see that she and my mother returned to London, England on the 7th September 1932 on the RMS Rangitiki. She is listed as being 28 years old and my mother aged 3 years.

Her birth date on the Marriage Certificate and the Emigration departure data both suggest she was born in 1904.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong in trying to find the other Minnie Todd? I would like to do this to definitely ascertain which family she belongs to.

I was told, hearsay, that the family emigrated with the mother who was a widow. I'm wondering if they all went out at different times now or if some such as the mother never went at all?

Patty

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 March 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »

I'm still trying to make sure we've found the right Minnie! I've tried the search engine in an attempt to find the other born around that time in Northumberland; to no avail. I don't know what I'm doing wrong  ::)

I've got the Marriage Certificate that shows she married Samuel George Paterson in 1929 in Aukland NZ.

Hi Patty

I'm a tad confused about what it is you are trying to find - re: "the other Minnie" ?

Can you confirm for us please, that the marriage cert. (1929) shows your Minnie has parents named "John and Margaret" ?

Cheers
   ~  Lu

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 March 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy

I'm a tad confused about what it is you are trying to find - re: "the other Minnie" ?

I think this is in reference to my earlier reply

The free 1911 index shows 2 Minnie Todds in Northumberland but if yours was definitely born in 1904 then she is the one living in Morpeth

The other Minnie was living in Newcastle and was b 1902

From the info in Patty's reply above - there is no doubt that it is the 1904 Minnie   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 March 12 22:38 GMT (UK) »
From FreeBMD
Minnie TODD birth, Mar qtr 1904, Morpeth, 10b 499.

That is when the birth was registered. She could have been born late 1903, but not registered until 1904.

Ian C

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 March 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Thanks.   :)

[Looks like the 1902 Minnie had parents "John & Mary Ann(e)" ?? ]

I'm still trying to make sure we've found the right Minnie!

Patty

Mmm ... I should have perhaps inserted this ^ (above) line in my previous post  ??

That's the bit I find confusing.   ;D     Surely the 1929 NZ marriage certificate confirms the names of Minnie TODD's  parents (and her father's occupation) ... and is a match for the 1911 data ?

[Not sure why the hunt is on for the 1902-born Minnie ?? ]   ;)

Cheers
         ~  Lu