Author Topic: George Frederick Long bC1828 Kildare  (Read 9297 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: George Frederick Long bC1828 Kildare
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 March 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
If you want to be certain you could order that marriage cert .. it should show Roberts occupation. Due to the pre-1864 registration it's reasonably likely that George was Church of Ireland, but that's not guaranteed. The marriage could be any non-Catholic Denomination, or Registry office which tells you nothing re denomination...

Not all Church of Ireland parishes have historic records and 1828 is before many or the parishes that are the available, which is why knowing the location is important.

Transcripts of a small number of Co. Kildare CofI parishes are available on the pay-website at www.rootsireland.ie

Re Margaret : I had a quick look for a possible baptism for her on www.irishgenealogy.ie but didn't see any likely matches. The website covers most of the available CofI records for the city area, but not that many for Co. Dublin.

Shane

see also : Margaret Maria Long bC1831
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 12 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Only started recording Newbridge graveyard today, has this headstone;

George Leo Long; Roseberry
12/3/1974 (70)
wife-Anne; 28/1/1989 (83)
========
Jack

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 12 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interest Jack.
Are you saying that there might be a connection to "my" Long family?
Pardon my ignorance but I am not familiar with these locations and have very little information about their origins.

Do you think that the burial which you have noticed at Newbridge for George Long of Roseberry might be from the family of my Long connection (maternal great great grandmother) who came to Australia.

George Frederick Long was bC1828 Kildare and his sister Margaret Maria Long was bC1830 Dublin.
If correct I believe their parents were Robert Long a militia Captain and Sarah(Hill).

With thanks and best wishes.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 December 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rex,
Newbridge and Kildare are only miles apart, so there is a small possibility there is a connection. As I said, I came across the headstone, and in Ireland, it's rare for 'double names' to be included on headstones.
The Long surname would not be very common, but when I get back to Newbridge I will keep an eye for any others that might be there.
Regards,
Jack

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 December 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Jack.
I appreciate your help.
I would love to trace this Long family as they are an integral part of my family history.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Going through records for George or Robert in Kildare, from 106 I only found a few.

Landed Estate Count Rentals;
Roberet Long;1863

Deputy Keeper of Willis and Indexes;
George Long; 1816 & 1821

Griffith Valuation of Ireland;
George Long; 1852

W.P.W Phillmore & Gertrude Thrift;
Robert Long; 1772
--
There are other names in
Dublin City Rotunda Ward 1901

Irish Prison Records

Thomas Directory of Ireland

1798 Claiments

Pigots Directory of Dublin

Treble Almanac of Dublin

Slaters Directory of Ireland 1870;
============
Jack

Offline EnlerG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 October 20 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I have been looking at a George Long who married Lizzie Carson on 4 Aug 1853  in the Reformed Pres. Meeting House Loughbrickland, Banbridge County Down.  You can view the marriage register in Irish Genealogy. 
The father of this George was Robert Long 'Gentleman'.  George is listed as a Land Agent's Assistant.
I have found only the birth of one child after the Registration of births was introduced (Robert Alexander Long 1864-1864). 
The list of children I believe includes James Carson Long 1855-1913 buried in Belfast , Sedgwick Rea Long 1856-1894 died in Manhattan (sources marriage and death registrations), a baby Robert Edward Alexander Long 1863-1863 who is buried with his mother and namesake in Banbridge, Scarva Street Presbyterian Graveyard. (Find a Grave website). I believe the William R Long in the 1880 New York census return (living in a boarding house with Sedgwick R Long)  is also a child of George and  Elizabeth. 
George was listed as George Frederick Long on the marriage certificate of James C long in Killyleagh in 1883. 
I think this is the same family - do these names tie in with the information you have?  Hoping this is of interest SG
Orr
Fisher
Huddleston

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 October 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at a George Long who married Lizzie Carson on 4 Aug 1853  in the Reformed Pres. Meeting House Loughbrickland, Banbridge County Down.  You can view the marriage register in Irish Genealogy. 

Here's that marriage for others to look at:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1853/09444/5421445.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 October 20 09:42 BST (UK) »

Always beneficial to include website links:
 :) :)

The list of children I believe includes James Carson Long 1855-1913 buried in Belfast

https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=6307.38563
His wife Mary also buried in the same plot.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Cromac/College_Park__East/158961/

....a baby Robert Edward Alexander Long 1863-1863 who is buried with his mother and namesake in Banbridge, Scarva Street Presbyterian Graveyard. (Find a Grave website)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/175179924/robert_edward-alexander-long

George was listed as George Frederick Long on the marriage certificate of James C long in Killyleagh in 1883.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10923/5990744.pdf
James married Mary Chauncey Vanderhoef, who resided in Killyleagh.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo