Author Topic: George Frederick Long bC1828 Kildare  (Read 9329 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Frederick Long bC1828 Kildare
« on: Friday 02 March 12 03:03 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to identify George Frederick Long bC1828 Kildare d 29 Dec 1893 Malvern Victoria.
If I have the correct person ,he was a son of Robert Long a militia captain and Sarah (Hill).
These parents look to match the parents of Margaret Maria Long who married Thomas Hendy 14 Oct 1853 Baltinglass Wicklow.

I have a poem titled "Rambling Thoughts which mentions each of the Hendy children living in the Victoria bush at Kamarooka.
It is simply signed G.F.L.
It occurs to me that this might have been a brother of the children's mother,ie George Francis Long.

I think George may have arrived Sep 1866 on "Suffolk" and my challenge is to determine if in fact he was a brother of Margaret Maria (Long) Hendy and were there other siblings.
I think Margaret Maria may have come from Dublin.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Frederick Long bC1828 Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately no response to my original query so I an adding some further details taken from his death record.He was buried StKilda cemetery.
Apparently he had been born Kildare Ireland and had been in Victoria about 27 years.

He had been married in Ireland to Elizabeth Jane Carson.There were at least 7 children from that marriage.I don't think any of that family came with him to Australia.

He married a second time in Sandhurst (now Bendigo) 1872 Rosetta Lavinia Wilson.They had at least four children.

If I can find his parents and siblings back in Ireland,I hope to resolve this old mystery.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
you need a few additional clues to start a search for family details for George - i.e. the denomination of this Long family, and where in Co. Kildare they lived - i.e. which town, townland or parish.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
some further details taken from his death record.He was buried StKilda cemetery.
He married a second time in Sandhurst (now Bendigo) 1872 Rosetta Lavinia Wilson.They had at least four children.

does his marriage or death record mention any details on his parents ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 12 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane.
His death registration states that his father was Robert Long a Captain of Militia and Sarah (Hill).
No indication as to religion.

Margaret Maria Long who might be his sister was born Dublin C1830,same parents.
Margaret Maria Long married Thomas Hendy 1853 Baltinglass Wicklow Vol 2 Page 419 and arrived Australia on "Constance" 1855.

I hope this helps.
Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 March 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Shane
In case this helps.
I have a prayer book which Margaret (Long) gave to her daughter C1890.
It is The Book of Common Prayer according to the use of the Church of England.

I have just noticed written in this prayer book.
"Margaret Hendy b 20 Mar 1830 died 27 Jul 1893.

Rex

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 March 12 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Maria Long who might be his sister was born Dublin C1830,same parents.
Margaret Maria Long married Thomas Hendy 1853 Baltinglass Wicklow Vol 2 Page 419 and arrived Australia on "Constance" 1855.

a marriage cert should show the names and occupations of their fathers, and may help with the denomination of the couple ... you can use those Index references you mentioned to order a research from the GRO. The fact that this is a civil record before 1864, means this was a non-Catholic marriage.

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 March 12 13:43 GMT (UK) »

a partial extract of that marriage is included on FamilySearch - confirms that Margaret's father was a Robert Long, but doesn't show his occupation - see :

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG6F-LXY

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 March 12 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Good morning from here Shane
It is the death registration for George Frederick Long which reals that his father was a Captain of Militia.
The death registration for Margaret Maria (Long) Hendy does not give her fathers' occupation but also named  Robert with mother Sarah.
Appears to be pretty strong evidence they might be brother and sister.

Rex