Author Topic: Galashiels cemetery lookup offer  (Read 18680 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
Galashiels cemetery lookup offer
« on: Friday 02 March 12 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I live near Galashiels and often wander through the cemteries reading all the old inscriptions and I wondered if anyone would like me to look for a particular headstone and also take a photo.  The ones I would look in for the moment, are Eastlands and Heatheryett (ladhope).  I have 4 cildren, 2 have disabilities, so I can't always get out so it might take me a week or so but I would definately look for anyone that wants me too!
Caroline  :)
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Galashiels cemetery lookup offer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Poppysmum,

That is very generous of you!  I have a bit of a list so if you happen to see any of them, I would appreciate it  :D
I've been told that I have quite a few family members in Eastlands cemetery, the Laidlaws and the Templetons.  Alexander Laidlaw was born 27 June 1879 and died 23 April 1948.  His father was William Laidlaw and his mother was Mary Alexander.
Also Jane Tweedie Laidlaw who died in July 1945 aged around 60.  There may be a William Laidlaw her son there as well.
Also Jack (John) Templeton born around 1917 and Adam Templeton born 10 December 1892 and he died in the 1950s.
I've been told the respective family members are buried within close proximity of each other.
If you could get photos, that would be fantastic!

Kind Regards

BordersLass  :)

Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:53 BST (UK) »
HI,
I will do my best to have a look for you and get back to you with what I can find :)
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Great!  Thanks very much!   ;D
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 12 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi poppysmum - And thank you for your very kind offer   :)
My great grandfather Thomas Hall died 10 Sep 1936 at the Cottage Hospital Galashiels. I have never been able to find out where he is buried it is possible they may have buried him back in Alva ?? but am not sure..bit difficult for me to check as am in Australia.
Do appreciate your offer.
Thanks and best wishes Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline birkel1905

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 April 12 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Poppysmum,
    I own a cd of the Eastland Cemetery which shows headstones. I located a Thomas Hall who died 10 Sept 1930 at the age of 75. Could this be him though you mentioned 1936.

Kevin

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 April 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin - Think you meant the reply to me Patvp  ;D
Have Thomas Hall's death cert and he def died in 1936 10th Sep..maybe transcriber got it wrong reading the gravestones (if there is one ??) although he died at the Cottage Hospital his adds at the time was 23 Victoria St..
He was married at the time although from what I can gather was not living with his wife Janet Scott ?? she died much later in 1948 (I think) the informant was John Murray who lists himself as īntimate friend" ?? never seen that before  ??? and his adds was 15 Victoria St, Galashiels.
It certainly looks as tho' that's my g/grand dad.
Would appreciate any other info that you may have.
Thank you so much..have been looking for quite some time.
regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline birkel1905

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Payup,
   The Thomas Hall i located might be yours. There is a headstone w/  the name of Thomas Hall but the headstone is partial buried. The part of the stone that shows the death date i unable to see. Let me know whether you are interested and i can send the page of inscription and photo of headstone.
  The inscription reads :  In loving memory of Helen C. Watson our adopted daughter who died 6.2.1902 age 17 years also James Flynn who died 10.7.1909 aged 50 years and of Thomas Hall who died 10.9.1930 aged 75 years also his wife         (remainder of inscription buried)
  In April of last year i posted on rootschat that i would requests for all. The cd's which i have which shows only headstones are Eastlands, St. Peter's and Old Ladhope at Galashiels.

Kevin

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin - And thank you for your trouble, looks as tho' we have the right one, Janet Flynn Scott was married to James Flynn and Ellen was their adopted daughter..so that clears that up, her name is probably, as you say, is hidden ??
Would very much appreciate a photo and the inscription so will PM you my e.mail adds.  Do have another couple of Hall burials I am interested in but whether they are on your CD cannot be sure..will check paperwork  :D.
Thank you once again...regards Patvp