Author Topic: Moriarty/Sullivan  (Read 1985 times)

Offline cashfan1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moriarty/Sullivan
« on: Friday 02 March 12 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone I need some help tracing some details about my late father's family. His father was John Moriarty born around 1872 in Tralee, he married my grandmother in July 1903 in Castleisland. By the 1911 census they lived on Brouge makers Lane in Tralee, this is three years before my father was born.
My father was born 11/05/1914 in Brougemakers Lane and I know he went into care at a very early age I believe his mother died but I can find no trace of her death anywhere. Her name was Hanora(Nora)
Sullivan and was born around 1880 possibly in Knockeen, Castleisland. She was servant according to the marriage cert. Does anyone have any idea how I could trace her date of death, as this would help me date the time my father went into care? I have used the Kerry graveyards site and spent hours going through them but with no joy. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks,
Dennis.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Moriarty/Sullivan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you also tried the BMD Index for possible deaths for Norah ?

Moriarty is quite a common Kerry surname, so there could be a few matches to follow up on.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

There doesn't seem to any good matches to the details you have - both of the entries that I see are in the right district (Tralee), but much later - i.e. 1927, 1931

see : Nora/Hanoria Moriarty deaths, birth 1870-1890

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cashfan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane
thanks for that reply, much appreciated. The two people you found are not my grandmother. She was born, according to the 1911 census, around 1880. I am beginning to wonder if Hanora perhaps left the family rather than died when my father was so young. I will have to widen the search dates for a possible death, if that is the case then I wonder how I could find out the year my father went into care.
I believe he went into St Joseph's in Tralee. Any ideas how I might go about finding out the year he went in there? Anyway Shane, thanks for your help.
Dennis.

Offline LJM2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 22 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
Just wondering if you are still looking for information on this person?
I am currently looking into the same family - I have been told that she died during childbirth of her youngest Son Timothy (my husbands grandfather). Timothy's daughter only knows that she died giving birth to her dad and that he was raised by the neighbours and the many older brothers and sisters were taken into care (they didn't take newborns) - I have found no record of her death or Timothy's birth but she also said the husband (John) remarried again to a woman named Margaret. Have you ever found other information on these? death/burial records??
Thanks.