Author Topic: BURGESS of Frome  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Knight1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURGESS of Frome
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 January 13 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Burgess of Frome is my ancestor. He had an occupation of a scribbler or even clothmaker. His children even picked up much of the same trade. This as far as i know, correct me if i'm wrong,  is all related to being a cardmarker. Samuel unfortunately is proving a difficult one to track but i know a number of the family over the generations went to London. The problem is sorting out who is from whom.  ;)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline dorsyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Knight1
Knight 1
Thanks for your reply. I'd be interested in what you know about Mathew Burgess. I have found a Samuel Burgess born in Frome about 1784 as a travelling salesman down in somewhere like Southampton.
I don't think my Samuel is the one born in 1784. I believe mine was deffinatly 1776, but there doesn't appear to be any records.
Incidentally, my William Burgess, Samuel's son,  who was married to Georgianna Setchell in London in 1839, I cannot find any of them in the 1861 census. They are in the 1851 and I know Wiliiam died in 1866. His wife and daughters re appear in 1871. Maybe If the 1861 census turned up, it would have some more answers. :-\

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline familypuzzle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 03:56 BST (UK) »
Samuel Burgess b. abt. 1776 and Susanna Allen are my 4th great-grandparents. I descend through their daughter Harriet (Burgess) Crine Hewitt. Harriett is on the 1841 census with her father and two daughters. She is probably the Harriet Hewitt who signed his death record. Does anyone have a copy of his death record? 

Harriet moved to Massachusetts, USA with her husband, William Hewitt, and daughters in 1854. Her daughter Anne Crine, my 2nd great-grandmother, married William Noble (also from Frome) 07 Jul 1855 in Hinsdale, Berkshire, Massachusetts, USA.

Does anyone know who Samuel's parents were? Any help with these families would be greatly appreciated.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 May 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Are you positive the fathers name is Samuel as there is a William born at Frome in 1815 but the fathers name is Charles

All the very best

Phil

Here are the details of the William mentioned above
name - William Burges
born - 5 JUN 1815
bapt - 23 JUL 1815
at    - Zion Independent, Frome, Somerset
father - Charles
mother - Mary Ann

source ancestry
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin