Author Topic: Need Help on Regiment Identity  (Read 1875 times)

Offline seamuscrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Need Help on Regiment Identity
« on: Sunday 15 May 05 18:37 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 census (London) I found a family member listed with the following occupation: "Gentn Captn 18th R.K.C."
I cannot find  info on any military regiment with these initials. Any suggestions? Was there such a thing as a "Gentleman Captain"?
LONDON-Ward, Sonnenberg

NORFOLK-Ward, Nicholson, Wigg, Eastoe, Townley, Hurrell, Abel, Gostling, Stonex, Silom, Clark.

CORK- Ahern, Haynes, Barrett, Buckley, Scannell

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help on Regiment Identity
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 05 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There probably was such a thing as a Gentleman Captain, but in those days you would not give tuppence for the manners of some of them.

Ref your RKC, I cannot find any trace of them in the books I have.

The only suggestion I can make is, have the initials been put in the wrong place by a dyslexic person?

If so you could be looking at the Kings Rifle Corps.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 05 18:56 BST (UK) »
PS,

The 18th may refer to a Battallion as in 18th Batt KRC.

The 18th Foot Regt was the Royal Irish Regt, so it is not them.

Possibly a Cavalry Regt even. Things to think about.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
I would think considering he was advancing in years and a builder in 1871 and living on his own means in 1891, and the fact he stated Gentn, all adds up to being in the Militia not the regular army. My guess would have to be the King's Royal Rifle Corps but it doesn't quite fit and besides they would be the 8th Battalion not the 18th.
Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 05 19:36 BST (UK) »
Actually I think it is RVC and has been mistranscribed so it would be Rifle Volunteer Corps. There is mention of the "former 18th RVC" at http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/volmil-england/vinf-so/sx-4-5.htm  around 1880 under 2nd Sussex Rifle Volunteers.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 05 19:42 BST (UK) »
My contribution may be a bit tongue in cheek, but could this be an explanation for the initials?

Award of the King's Chalice: given to those  who, in the sight of the Sovereign, have displayed excellence and authenticity in  their chosen field. Recipients may place the initials RKC after their names. An  individual can receive this award more than once,  The token is a medallion bearing the order's badge.   

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 May 05 19:45 BST (UK) »
Wow! Where ever did you find that?
Mind you I'm sticking with mine. The middle letter is certainly not a K and I appealed to my husband, who has rotten writing :-* , and he said it looked like a V. I compared it to a V on the previous page (Visitor) and I don't think there is any doubt but it would be good if someone else could take a squint at it.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 May 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
As he was a builder all his working life and in 1871 was in Paddington then I would think it was probably 18th Middlesex Rifle Volunteer Corps (still Militia not regular army)
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/volmil-london/vinf/L10padd.htm
Regards
Valda

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
As he was a builder all his working life and in 1871 was in Paddington then I would think it was probably 18th Middlesex Rifle Volunteer Corps (still Militia not regular army)
http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/volmil-london/vinf/L10padd.htm
Regards
Valda

Sounds perfect to me :)