Author Topic: Neuchatel, Switzerland  (Read 1156 times)

Offline St George

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neuchatel, Switzerland
« on: Saturday 03 March 12 03:45 GMT (UK) »
This message is for Manchester Rambler
I just saw your post that you occasionally go to the Neutchatel archives and found that I just missed your last visit :(

I am looking for an ancestor who was in the de Meuron Regiment in Ceylon in 1790.  I have his marriage record there which states he was a musician in the de Meuron.  Could you please see if the archives have the Muster Rolls, Attestation records, etc for this regiment and what it would take to have a search made for them.  I have tried to email the Archives but they do not answer.  My ancestor's name was Charles Phillippe St Martin. 

Many thanks and please let me know what you charge for this.

Offline lindseya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neuchatel, Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
The Dutch National Archives: http://www.gahetna.nl/en has some De Meuron Regiment records in its VOC collection, much of which has been digitised and available for perusal for free online.  It includes some listings of regiment members in Ceylon in various years. I don't recall noticing Charles Phillippe St Martin, but that wasn't the name I was looking for, and he may well be in one of those. Unfortunately, though, some of the most crucial files haven't been digitised. Some (e.g. 1.04.02 Inventory No 12326) include regimental records with interesting details including physical descriptions of individuals. It's possible to pay for digitisation of particular files - but a non-refundable search fee has to be paid first, then a quote is given for the task. Hope that helps!
Lindsey

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
Re: Neuchatel, Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I did a quick search on the link Lindsey gave you.
There is a Charle Philippe de St. Martin, originaire de St. Dominique in America.
He entered service as soldier on the 02.09.1782 in the first Company of De Meuron.

http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/index/nt00344/a4256f44-1d60-4537-8559-13f996ac8d07/view/NT00344_opvarenden/sort_column/prs_achternaam/sort_type/asc/q/zoekterm/St%20Martin/q/comments/1

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.