Author Topic: Location of High Enoch & Enoch Castle, Durisdeer  (Read 4994 times)

Offline khammer9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location of High Enoch & Enoch Castle, Durisdeer
« on: Monday 05 March 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Looking for 18/19 century maps of these two places. My ancestors McMorrine/Shankland were agricultural farmers and stone masons, lived in this area and walked to Durisdeer church. Would like to know distance between these two places.. Thanks in advance !

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of High Enoch & Enoch Castle, Durisdeer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 12 19:59 GMT (UK) »
The best collection of maps of Scotland you can view free is at the National Library of Scotland maps site. They have large-scale Ordnance Survey maps and older ones, including Roy's map from the mid 18th century.

Graham.

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • William James Hiddleston Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 12 22:11 GMT (UK) »
You can also access old maps at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html . Just type in 'High Enoch' in the search box and away you go.

I usually have google maps open in another tab next to it, then locate the places on the modern map and get google to calculate the distances for me.

June

PS My Shanklands are from Crary, (aka Crairiehill) also in Durisdeer parish, and I was calculating the same thing just a few weeks ago! I reckon they must have had a horse :-)
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.

Offline khammer9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Graham and June !
I was in Dursideer 1991 from Alaska, the Shankland family lived in High Enoch cottage in 1861. Before that they were in Mennock Bridge 1841 & 51.
I have Thomas Shankland & wife Mary Hogg, they had 6 sons in mid 1750's
Their son Robert & wife Jean Blackwood, had 8 children in late 1780's ( Robert was born in Crary)
Then their son Samuel & wife Marion McMurdo, had 9 children.
Then their daughter Catherine & husband William McMorrine, had 10 children
Then their son Samuel McMorrine & wife Harriet Anderson came to USA 1906.

I am trying to connect locations, history of their occupations, interested in history about High Enoch cottage, when it was built, etc. Map of dwellings at the time census was taken gives insight.
The McMorrine seem to come from Kirkudbright area and Shankland from Dumfries area.

Thanks !

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • William James Hiddleston Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 00:20 GMT (UK) »
No problem!  So we come from the same Thomas & Mary Shankland!

I'm descended through Archibald (also born Crary) 1770-1845, m Mary Gilmour - 6 kids
- Robert 1802-1862 m Sarah Rankine - 8 kids
-- William 1841-1910 m Agnes Miller - 7 kids
---Margaret 1873-1949 m William Hiddleston - 15 children!! My g-grandparents.

I noticed that High Enoch is only a few hundred yards north of Murriehill (Muiryhill) Cottage, Durisdeer, and remembered this record, under Wills on scotlandspeople:

SHANKLAND JOHN 2/08/1878 STONE DYKER, MURRIEHILL COTTAGE, D. 29/06/1878 AT FORD, INTESTATE INVENTORY DUMFRIES SHERIFF COURT SC15/41/17 VIEW (£5.00)

With you saying your Shanklands were stone masons, that is often another term for stone dyker, and I wonder if he's connected? It was the death at 'Ford that caught my eye initially, as one or two of my Shanklands spent periods working in the west of Scotland, and Ford is a small hamlet on the end of Loch Awe, Argyll. Unfortunately I didn't download that one.

I do have a copy of the 1684 will of a James SHankiland of Coshoggle farm, Durisdeer Parish. Again, that's fairly near to High Enoch (just across the Enterkin Pass from it in fact, which explains why a few Shankilands were questioned by the Privy Council about the Covenanters' ambush of dragoons at Enterkin!) The olde Scots writing in the will is almost unreadable, although it mentions a Jon Shankiland of Kirkland of Morton as his n.o.k. and a few other names as well.  I can email a copy to you if you want to contact me privately with your details?

June
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.

Offline Sandy90

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also a descendant of Thomas Shankland and Mary Hogg through their great grandson William Shankland who married Agnes Millar. I am through William and Agnes's son Robert Shankland who married Elizabeth Anderson.

Offline Davidmcgilp1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
No problem!  So we come from the same Thomas & Mary Shankland!

I'm descended through Archibald (also born Crary) 1770-1845, m Mary Gilmour - 6 kids
- Robert 1802-1862 m Sarah Rankine - 8 kids
-- William 1841-1910 m Agnes Miller - 7 kids
---Margaret 1873-1949 m William Hiddleston - 15 children!! My g-grandparents.

I noticed that High Enoch is only a few hundred yards north of Murriehill (Muiryhill) Cottage, Durisdeer, and remembered this record, under Wills on scotlandspeople:

SHANKLAND JOHN 2/08/1878 STONE DYKER, MURRIEHILL COTTAGE, D. 29/06/1878 AT FORD, INTESTATE INVENTORY DUMFRIES SHERIFF COURT SC15/41/17 VIEW (£5.00)

With you saying your Shanklands were stone masons, that is often another term for stone dyker, and I wonder if he's connected? It was the death at 'Ford that caught my eye initially, as one or two of my Shanklands spent periods working in the west of Scotland, and Ford is a small hamlet on the end of Loch Awe, Argyll. Unfortunately I didn't download that one.

I do have a copy of the 1684 will of a James SHankiland of Coshoggle farm, Durisdeer Parish. Again, that's fairly near to High Enoch (just across the Enterkin Pass from it in fact, which explains why a few Shankilands were questioned by the Privy Council about the Covenanters' ambush of dragoons at Enterkin!) The olde Scots writing in the will is almost unreadable, although it mentions a Jon Shankiland of Kirkland of Morton as his n.o.k. and a few other names as well.  I can email a copy to you if you want to contact me privately with your details?

June

Hello! I'm also related to the shanklands and I'm wondering how much information anyone has. Many thanks.
David

Offline DMHolden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 January 22 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi to those researching Shankland/Shankiland.  I am trying to find a Janet Shank(i)land who married Andrew MENZIES.  The couple baptised several children at Durisdeer in the 1700's and are recorded as being at Crairiehill, Enterkinfoot and Rigghouse.  I have contacted the Shankland one name group but they cannot find a match for this couple.  Their children were at Woodhouselee from at least 1841 onwards, with my ancestor, John Menzies born 1812 and his two younger brothers Robert and Thomas all leaving to live in Newark Nottinghamshire (John and Robert are there in 1841 and were joined very shortly afterwards by Thomas).

Online ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 March 22 13:58 GMT (UK) »
khammer9 - perhaps you have already seen the High Enoch entry in Scotlands Places?