Author Topic: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?  (Read 45553 times)

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any descendants of Tobias Codd out there?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 January 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay. Re family of Pattie and Tommy John of Rickeston Mill.  They were Jenny(Sarah Jane) who married Walter Morris (3 children); Mary m David Morgan(2ch); Bob m Winnie Howells(9ch); Bertie m Irene Mathias?(1ch); Minnie m  1. Sid Lloyd 2 Jimmy Hicks (no ch); Alfie m Peggy(margaret) Edwards(1ch); Phyllis m Fred Britton(no ch) and Joe m Patsy(Martha) ? (4ch).   Aunty Beats died in Sept 2010 and her son Alan in Feb 2010.  Uncle Sid John died in the 90s but their daughter * is alive and well in Milford.  We don't know why Willie left, as it's logical he would have inherited the Mill.     Pattie's sister Sarah married Richard(Dick) James .He was killed at the battle of Jutland.They had 2 sons, Arthur and Edward(Teddy).  Hoping I've got  things correct.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 January 12 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Content re-instated by moderator

Thanks for the information - the mists are starting to clear now - although it was a shock to hear about Auntie Beatie and Alan (he was next in age up from me). Would you know roughly in what year Sarah & Martha married - or the birth year of their eldest child. I'm in the process of trying out all kinds of spellings to find them in the census and birth, marriage & deaths. My grandfather - William - could speak fluent Welsh - which surprises me for South Pembrokeshire. Did any of the sisters speak Welsh to your knowledge

Auntie Winnie Morgans 10 (half sister), Aunty Vano 13 (Myfanwy), Auntie Iris 10
Uncle (Gilbert) Ivor 4, Uncle Maldwyn 2 and my dad William John 6 on the front steps of their home in Penrhiwceiber 1928. All since passed away.

Cousin Mal

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
  Jenny was born in 1906 and Mary in 1909.   There was no Welsh in the family as far as I know.  I'll follow up on the  marraige dates query.   

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »

Just found marriage of Thomas John and Martha Codd - 1904 - and I now have them in the 1911 Census with the surname Johns. Oldrst child was Bertie born 1906. Still trying to find marriage of Sarah Codd. Did Martha die in 1947?

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 January 12 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mal
I have been looking into the upbringing of your grandad William Codd.He was with the Morgans at HavensHead,Milford Haven at the age of 9. I wonder when he went to live with them and why? Martha Morgan was from Llanrhian,near Mathry in North Pembrokeshire a Welsh speaking area so would likely have been a Welsh speaker.I believe her maiden name was John but probably not related to the other Johns who were from the Walton West area.Mary Jenkins who married Tobias Codd and was living with the Morgans at St.Botolphs Lodge was also from Llanrhian.William Morgan was from Hayscastle which is roughly on the so called Landsker line dividing Welsh speaking N Pembs with English speaking S.Pembs.He was working on a farm at Llanwnda near Fishguard.He may have been brought up to speak Welsh or picked it up.The Morgans did not seem to have any children of their own so this might explain their willingness to have an adopted son.Martha Jenkins was probably a servant at St.Botolphs House.Perhaps the person occupying the Lodge had to act as a groundsman or caretaker maybe in exchange for being allowed to live there and have use of a bit of land to farm.Before and after his time there William Morgan was described as a labourer.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 January 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I had a look roound the Rickeston Bridge area yesterday and also looked at some old maps.It would appear that there was an Upper and a Lower mill the Upper mill being where the care home is now.This was occupied for many years by the Devonald family.The Lower mill was a few hundred yards to the West alongside a stone jetty which would have been accessible to coastal vessels at high tide.Now only the jetty remains.The Codds were there from 1861 onwards .Previously Tobias Codd was miller at Winsle Mill which was a few miles away towards St.Brides.One of Tobias Codd jnr's brothers Abel became miller at Mullock mill nearby .
John
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline lizmarl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 January 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
  Re my grandparents at Rickeston mill.    Martha John died in 1947 aged 62 and Tommy in 1965 aged 82.   Their son Walter Robert(Bob) died in 1976 aged 65; his wife Winifred in 2000 aged 87.   Martha's sister Sarah lived in the Blackbridge area of Milford.  Any help?

Offline malcodd

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »

I noticed from the 1911 Census that Tobias was now living in Upper Rickeston Mill. Not sure whether they moved home or just acquired more land. I didn't realise that they was a jetty near Lower Rickeston - but I can see with Google Earth that there is an inlet from the coast at that point

I can see a Sarah A Codd marrying a Richard John in 1913 - but no other marriages up to 1916 (the battle of Jutland) - and no obvious births for Arthur and Edward

Offline SarahDevonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 February 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My family were living at Rickeston Mill which is now a nursing home. My great great grandparents were Thomas Devonald and Elizabeth Codd.  Elizabeth was born at Greenmire Mill in 1843 and was the daughter of Tobias Codd born 1816 and Lettice Hughes born 1820. Elizabeth had 2 brothers Abel and Tobias.
Tobias born 1816 was the son of Tobias Codd born 1774 and Elizabeth Moore 1776.
I know that the layout of the road at Rickeston has been altered as my dad is from Milford Haven, and though living away from there now he visits a few times a year. There is still a  bungalow at Rickeston Bridge where my great grandparents lived and my dad recalls visiting them as a child.  My great grandfather was George Devonald and my great grandmother was Caroline Bevans. George was one of 12 children born at Rickeston Upper Mill which is now the nursing home. There were 2 mills at Rickeston, and I think that Tobias and Lettice lived there at some stage also.