Author Topic: Hope/Turnbull Family Tree  (Read 4406 times)

Offline radrian8888

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hope/Turnbull Family Tree
« on: Tuesday 06 March 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find some information regarding Thomas Hope and Janet Turnbull, they are my great great grandparents. They immigrated to Australia arriving in Adelaide South Australia (my hometown) on the ship the "Northern Light" in 1855. On the ship's passenger list Thomas is 26 yrs old and Janet is 31 yrs old, they were travelling with a son John 3 yrs old, also it is recorded they were from Roxburgh. I do know that Thomas and Janet both died in South Australia.  I do not have any information on Thomas' parents, they could be William Hope and Agnes Borthwick and can find no further information on them either.  Janet's parents could be John Turnbull and Margaret Cummings. If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated.
Thanking you
Regards
radrian8888

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Hope/Turnbull Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radrian  :)

Possible marriage for Thomas and Janet 1850 on the IGI

Also this census entry which could be them -

http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=79205024

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit of Turnbull hidden away in a small corner of my family tree. I found this book http://www.turnbullclan.com/publications/rulewater_and_its_people_index.htm which has a bit about the Turnbulls - may not mention your specific people but will provide some background. Great to read some Edwardian family history/local history anyway!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline radrian8888

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ev and GrahamSimons for the information.
Regards Ros

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »
radrian Margaret Cumming is buried in Ancrum cemetery .The entry in the Ancrum MIs  refers to Thomas TURNBULL  proprieter in Lanton and mentions young children who died early  and then mentions HELEN HALL wife of JOHN TURNBULL HIS SON WHO DIED 16-1-1821 AGED 25  then mentions MARGARET CUMMING  wife of the late JOHN TURNBULL  WHO DIED IN EDINBURGH 24-1-1880? AGED 49YRS also a WILLIAM  3rd son of JOHN TURNBULL died xxx aged 30.

It would appear that John Turnbull died before Margaret Cumming.
The Ancrum book of MIs is available from BFHS.
My record show they married at Jedburgh 4th December 1822 .
Thomas and Janet had a son John you mentioned ,which with the scottish namng pattern (first male child getting the grandfather name) would suggest this is the right family.If so you have a further link back to Thomas Turnbull in Lanton. Hope this helps.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry it should read the birth (not marriage) AS 4TH dEC 1822.
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline radrian8888

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 12 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan for all the information. I didn't know that the first male child was named after the grandfather. Also didn't know about Thomas Turnbull.
Regards

Offline Geoff Roberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 November 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
His Ros,

We seem to have relatives in common. 
"I am trying to find some information regarding Thomas Hope and Janet Turnbull, they are my great great grandparents. They immigrated to Australia arriving in Adelaide South Australia (my hometown) on the ship the "Northern Light" in 1855. On the ship's passenger list Thomas is 26 yrs old and Janet is 31 yrs old, they were travelling with a son John 3 yrs old, also it is recorded they were from Roxburgh. I do know that Thomas and Janet both died in South Australia."

What you may not know is that they had a child on the voyage, whom they appear to have named after the Captain of the 'Northern Light', Captain H. W. Plain, so there is a Henry William Plain Hope who is one of their children.   I'm just getting started on this, but I can tell you I am the grandson of Thomas Alfred Hope, who is one of their grandchildren.  He moved to Victoria, enlisted in the Army (his serial no was 207) at the beginning of WW1, was in the Gallipolli landing, survived, but was wounded after a few days and medevaced, ultimately going to England, then serving in France before returning to Australia.   He married a Gretta Maude Christopherson (the spelling varies, living members are known as Christopher - and mostly live in and around Melbourne)  She was the daughter of Gustav Kristofferson, of Oslo Norway, in Melbourne and had two children, Lorna and Betty (my mother).  Post WW2, they moved to Port Pirie, in South Australia following Lorna, who while serving as a WAAF, met her husband Doug Pettman when he was in the Air force and moved to Pirie where he was in a family business (Pettman's Menswear - now long gone)  She later moved with Doug to Saltwater River and both died there some years apart, they had no children.  Alf and Gretta remained in Port Pirie the rest of their lives, Alf died in 1968 and Gretta in about 1976.  They were cremated and are in the Centennial Park cemetery (Alf as a returned WW1 serviceman is in the military section).  I still live in Port Pirie.  I'd only just recently discovered the connection to Jedburgh via Thomas and Janet, as I'd been led to believe they came from England rather than the Scottish Borders, but like you found the reference to the 'Northern Light' through a relative, Margaret Christopher, who was once married to Gretta's brother.  It also appears likely Janet is related to the same Turnbulls as former PM Malcolm Turnbull as his ancestors seem to have come from a town only a few miles from Jedburgh.  Haven't tracked this down precisely but given the proximity it's unlikely to be a mere coincidence.  I hadn't known my Hope ancestors came into Australia via Adelaide, I'd assumed they'd gone to Melbourne like the Kristoffersons and Thorssons and Roberts families, so since discovering this I'd wondered if I had relatives in S.A. as all the ones I know of are in Victoria.   Would love to hear from you so we can compare notes. 

Regards
Geoff Roberts

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 November 19 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Found this in Jeburgh Abbey cemetery
232 William Hope of Hopehouse d 27.1.1847  77 w Agnes Borthwick d 5.1.1834  48 da Alison d 15.1.1832  23, Robert, Thomas and Christian died young s Adam d 25.11.1871  60 da Isabella d 21.4.1877  65 s James d Jedburgh 5.6.1900  72 (N.B. 3 Hope stones adjoin)

I will see if I find anything else.
Don't think you are related to your Malcolm Turnbull. he came from ANNAN Dumfriesshire a good 50 miles away.
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders