Author Topic: Looking for John Lockwood in 1881  (Read 6282 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for John Lockwood in 1881
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 March 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the 1881 for ages the other day and again today...Maybe they just were missed...They may have been changing addresses at the time. I tried proximity to future husbands, first names and approximate ages only...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Herman Digger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 March 12 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Pels
The army record fits the bill. Thanks for uncovering this. I have sent you a separate  message for the other information.
If John jnr. was in the army in 1881 I wonder if his father John snr. was also? He would be 50 or so but this might explain why the family disappears in 1881. Does your source indicate where John jnr. was in 1881 or where the regiment may have been posted?

I am coming round to believing the marriage to Kate Foley is probably correct in which case I have traced all the children in each census except 1881, with the exception of Sarah Lockwood who disappears after her marriage to Arthur Yeoman in 1882. Could he have joined the army as well?

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 March 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »

John Lockwood joined the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment
10th February 1882 in Halifax

Discharged on termination of 1st period of limited engagement
7th February 1894

Don't know if this will help

1881.07.01 The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) two regular battalions:

1st Battalion, redesignation of 33rd (Duke of Wellington's) Regiment of Foot

Deployment 1st Battalion

1881.07.01 1st Battalion, The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)
1881 India: Nowshera
1885 Kulduna
1887 Meanmeer
1888 Aden
1889 England: Bradford
1892 Dover
1895 Malta
above details can be found here with further info. on the regiment
http://www.britisharmedforces.org/i_regiments/dukewell_index.htm

It’s a shame the 1894 marriage of John Lockwood to Kate Foley is not available to view on line to confirm if his father's name is John - can't see it on IGI either

John's father John Snr. was certainly busy with all the weddings in 1882

as to finding the family in 1881 - they seem pretty elusive  ???
a long shot have you tried all the addresses for the marriages of John Snr's daughters although JJ did say - tried proximity to future husbands, first names and approximate ages only......

Jan 1882 Emma Lockwood residence 164 Kensington St Manningham
Mar 1882 Sarah Lockwood residence 91 Kensington Rd Manningham
Oct 1882 Lavinia Lockwood residence 73 Sow Greene Horton

1885 Clara Lockwood  residence 168 Princeville St Horton
1897 Annie Lockwood residence 168 Willowfield St. Horton - father John noted as Deceased
1905 Edith Lockwood residence 180 Willowfield St. Bradford - "          "     "          "

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Herman Digger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 March 12 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info on the DoW Regt. I will research further. The fact he was out of the army by 1891 suggests he wasn't in their long, perhaps invalided out into the Reserves?
I have had a look at the addresses given in the marriages but none give any result. I suppose the fact that the 3 sisters were all at different addresses in 1882 suggests the family was scattered in 1881. Funny all 3 gave different occupations for their father as well.
Since the mother died in 1878 when a couple of the kids were quite young I have also tried the Bradford Workhouse but no luck there either.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 March 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Is it just me or has anyone found Hannah Goldthorpe in 1881 to see if any of the children are with her? I cannot seem to find her anywhere either?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 March 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Herman Digger, do you have parents names for the John b. 1830?

I have had a look for Hannah in 1881 and haven't turned her up either.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 March 12 18:17 GMT (UK) »

If John jnr. was in the army in 1881 I wonder if his father John snr. was also?

John jnr wasn't in the army in the army in 1881 :

John Lockwood joined the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment on the 10th February 1882 in Halifax. His age was written as 19 years and 2 months, the parish of birth given was Barnsley.

He didn't join until 10th February 1882.

Pels. :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 March 12 18:38 GMT (UK) »

The fact he was out of the army by 1891 suggests he wasn't in their long, perhaps invalided out into the Reserves?

To the best of my knowledge he joined as a reserve and apart from what looks like a break, didn't actually leave the army until 1894 :

Discharged on termination of 1st period of limited engagement : 7th February 1894.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Herman Digger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 March 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for Hannah Goldthorpe in 1881 and I can't find her either. Got her in all the the other censuses. It makes you wonder how complete the 1881 is if so many people are missing.
The parentage of John Lockwood born 1830 I have only recently deciphered. He is listed in 1841 as John Sacker the son of Francis and Elizabeth Sacker. Elizabeth was born Elizabeth Clarkson and married George Lockwood in 1817 at All Saints, Darton. She had two sons with George Lockwood before he died in 1830, David and George. She then married Francis Sacker in 1832 and these two sons are listed as Sackers in 1841 but as Lockwoods in 1851. It was only because there was a John Lockwood living next door to the Sackers in 1861 that I followed him up out of curiosity and discovered he listed his father as George Lockwood on the marriage register. So George and Elizabeth had 3 sons.
Elizabeth went on to have 5 children with Francis Sacker, one of whom was Hannah who married Henry Goldthorpe, and she validates the John Lockwood found in the 1891 census. It's nice when it all comes together and makes sense.
I have traced Francis and Elizabeth in each census up to their deaths. Francis survived until 1884 but John doesn't appear with him in the 1881 census.
Interestingly, one of John's other step-sisters, Rebecca Sacker who married George Brown, went on to live in the same area of Manningham, Bradford as John and his children in 1891 and she is also missing in the 1881 census. Perhaps they missed out a whole street in Bradford in 1881?