Author Topic: Dingleton Hospital Melrose  (Read 13197 times)

Offline VAV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dingleton Hospital Melrose
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 February 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello, please look at the photo, can anyone recognize this person? This is my grandfather, born in 1916, he is from Ukraine. In 1959, fate brought him to the Dingleton Hospital Melrose. The last letter was from him in 1971. There is also information that he died somewhere in 1973-1974. Tell me where you can find information about him. Thanks!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 February 20 17:50 GMT (UK) »
If he died in Scotland his death should be in the index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

There is a death of a Zenyk Debinski in Melrose in 1973, and a Wasyl Kuzner in 1974.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline VAV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
If he died in Scotland his death should be in the index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

There is a death of a Zenyk Debinski in Melrose in 1973, and a Wasyl Kuzner in 1974.

Thank you very much! I managed to find a place and a year when my grandfather died!
But that’s all. Tell me how to find out the place where he is buried. And information about him. I will be very grateful.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much! I managed to find a place and a year when my grandfather died!
But that’s all. Tell me how to find out the place where he is buried. And information about him. I will be very grateful.
Assuming that he is buried somewhere near the hospital, the burial records will be in the care of Scottish Borders Council. See https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/20021/burials_and_cemeteries
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline VAV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Above in the screenshot it is written that he is buried in Galashiels.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I see nothing in the screenshot to say where he was buried. It says RD Galashiels, i.e. Registration District Galashiels. Scotland's People does not collect or keep information about burials after 1860.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 18:39 GMT (UK) »

No, it says that his death was registered in Galashiels.

You should order a copy of his death certificate - using the link on the site you gave a screenshot of - to get more details of his circumstances when he died.

It won't give a place of burial, but would give you extra information, including cause of death, his address, and the name of the informant when he died.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 May 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
I HAVE READ THE 3 PAGES AND DONT KNOW WHO IS LOOKING FOR WHOM?IF ONE IS STILL LOOKING FOR DEBINSKI THEN HE IS  BURIED IN WAIRDS CEMETERY. I TRANSCRIBED WAIRDS MYSELF AND IS ON CD.

1201 “D” In loving memory of ZENYK DEBINSKI beloved husband of ELIZABETH FORD , Broomlands , Tower Road, Darnick, Melrose died 29th May 1973 aged 67yrs also his wife ELIZABETH FORD died 9th November 1976 aged 75yrs.

ELIZABETH FORDS FAMILY HAD THE DAIRY IN DARNICK.

IF SOMEONE GAVE ME A NAME I CAN SEARCH THE LOCAL CEMETERIES.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 May 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
Alan, if you don't mind, would you perhaps be able to find out in which of the local cemeteries my great-grandmother Margaret Clark(e) MacGregor is buried? She died at Dingleton/Roxburgh District Asylum and was buried locally in early January 1941, during a period of heavy snow. I'm not entirely sure if she even has a headstone, at this point, as apparently when my great-grandfather enquired about putting one up circa 1942, he was told he would first have to get permission from the Council. Given that my great-grandfather had only a small pension to live on and was by then in very poor health, he may not have been able to have one erected before he died himself, so it may be a fruitless search.