Author Topic: William Carter  (Read 13973 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: William Carter
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 November 14 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Odd thoughts:-

* Alfred Ernest married as "Ernest Alfred"
* After being the subject of an assault, why wouldn't "she" run away and hide?
  ?The clue may be that the 3 of them were together. Edwin, Harry, "Mother"
  ?Problem could also be that Harry was regd Edward Harry etc., etc., 

The really odd thoughts I have removed. :-D
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 November 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

Many thanks for your interest. :)

Sorry you have lost me, who is Robert & Maria, am I missing something. :-X

Yes I also noticed Alfred was Ernest Alfred on the marriage record from Free BMD & I'm sure you are correct about Charlotte, Edwin & Harry being together in 1901 it's just finding them. ???

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 November 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie

Comes of doing two things at once.

I've removed R&M from thoughts.

:-(

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline MAAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 November 14 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I've been doing a bit more digging on William Carter and have been able to find a few more details.

In 1881 he has left Writtle, Chelmsford and has moved to Bowling Alley, Harpenden, Herts. where he is the landlord of the Woodman's Arms. He is there together with his wife Charlotte (nee Curtis) and his children George, Ellen and Henrietta. Interesting on the same street we find his daughter (Hannah Cecilia) Charlotte living a few doors down with her husband Joshua and children Alice and George.

I have now found baptismal records for Hannah Charlotte Cecilia and Jessie Maria Charlotte. They were both baptised at St. John's, Wapping on January 7th 1859 and their parents William and Charlotte are living at 4 Little Hermitae Street. In the 1861 census they are all in Writtle, Essex.

I also managed to find a record of the birth of their daughter Ellen Charlotte Curtis Carter on 30th January 1865. By this point the family are back in London and living at 22 Medcalf Rd, Enfield and William is described as a 'fund holder'. By 1871 William and Charlotte, together with their children William, Charles and Ellen are in Harpenden. Their daughter (Hannah Cecilia) Charlotte Carter appears as a domestic servant at Hatching Green, Harpenden.

So, a few more facts. The family seems to have moved a lot. Yet with William living on the same street as Charlotte's future husband and his family one can see how they met. Still nothing on Charlotte past 1881 I'm afraid. I'll need to get that marriage certificate .... Hannah C Charlotte's son Harry was in the Welsh Regiment, his record hasn't survived except a medal card but perhaps I could try the regimental museum.

Matthew

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 November 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew

Many thanks for the added info, it all helps to build up a picture & hopefully succeed in finding Charlotte & her boys.

I don't know if this is correct & probably the only way to be sure is to get that marriage cert but from the census Ernest Alfred was born c1877 in Surrey so I wonder if he is the son of Arthur & Emmaline Wheeler born Worplesdon Surrey & baptised 28th April 1878. :-\

Do you know what happened to Ernest after Charlotte's death which I see was registered in Wandsworth.

Will be back later. :)

Maddie

Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline MAAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 November 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie,

I remember seeing on the 1919 wedding certificate of Harry that Alfred was deceased by 1919. Other than that I don't know anything about him - to be honest he was never mentioned at all in the family, unlike Hannah C Charlotte.

Charlotte's death was always a bit of a 'did she fall or was she pushed' story in the family. Perhaps she was in London and visiting or living with her daughter Alice .... Another certificate to get hold of!

Thanks for all your help!

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 November 14 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew

I've been digging around some of the family members to see if Charlotte was with them & have checked her sister Jessie Munt formerly McCulloch nee Carter & she doesn't appear with this family in the census. I've also found Charlotte's daughter Alice & husband Robert Benjamin at 70 Woodchester Street Paddington in 1914, at least I have found Robert as Alice would not have been registered any way. If you have Ancestry Robert Benjamin's Service record is there & apparently in 1915 Alice contacted his regiment for compulsory support as he had deserted her. Sadly there is a following letter regarding the support that was to be paid from the 1st Jan 1916 to say that it would be stopped as Mrs Simmons had died.  :o

Free BMD as her death as March qtr 1916 Marylebone so it would seem that Charlotte wasn't visiting her daughter in 1915 unless she had been taken ill & was in hospital. :-\

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 16 November 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew

A quick question, did Frederick Harry die in 1981, Bristol & Avon district with a birth date of 3rd May 1897 & do you have any info on his brother Edwin at all.

Also my apologies, I said Charlotte died Wandsworth in a previous post, I think I must have looked quickly at the record above her whilst typing, ::) it was actually Chelsea, wasn't it. :) So maybe she had been with daughter Alice before they both died in 1916.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline MAAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 November 14 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's Fredrick Harry. I've tried to look for probable matches with the FreeBMD for his birth but without actually buying the certificates of likely matches it seems impossible to tell which Harry Wheeler or Fredrick Wheeler is he.

The only thing I heard of Edwin is that he died in the 1914 war. There seem to be quite a few Edwin Wheelers who fell, but again hard to tell which is our Edwin Wheeler.....

Odd that Alice and Charlotte should both die in 1916. I wonder if there was a connexion ....