Author Topic: William Carter  (Read 14000 times)

Offline Andy Raggett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Carter
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Maddie,

Thanks for the swift reply and the useful thought about the Boer War. You had the same idea as me, of an old soldier in the High Street selling bootlaces etc, which could well be true if the Boer War link has some substance.

I had a very quick look at your suggestion of WJC Carter in the Boer War records and this is something that I will have to investigate further when I can spare the time. Unfortunately I haven't continued with my family history study in the last couple of years, it was only an enquiry of my family Tree on Genes Reunited that got me thinking about it again last week. I am however now busy with Open University study and my next module is due to begin in the next couple of weeks which means I am going to be rather busy for the next few months.

I will post any useful information I uncover with the lead you have given me.

Cheers

Andy

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Good luck with your OU module & I would be interested to hear if you do discover anything concerning WJCC & the Boer War.

If you need any other help at any time just post, we are happy to help if at all possible. :)

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I think the military for WJCC is the way to go. :D

Just looked at the Chelsea Pensioner records & there is a William Joseph Curtis Carter born 1859, it says Harpenden Herts but perhaps that's just the info he gave. I can only see one William Joseph Curtis Carter birth registered on Free BMD. :-\

Hope he is yours.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Andy Raggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddie,

Many thanks for giving me the hint about the Chelsea Pensioners records. I paid up to have a look at the records via Find My Past. It looks as if WJC Carter signed up to the military in March 1880 for a period, but was discharged just over 12 months later having been found unfit for further service. Possibly because he had a record of drunkeness and fighting  :-[

It still doesn't answer the question, whee he was during the 1901 & 1911 census and beyond, but it does add more to the family history file.

Cheers

Andy

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Your surname and Carter are fairly common regarding Croxley Paper Mill (Croxley Script).

Do you have those links in your family?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Andy Raggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 September 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Your surname and Carter are fairly common regarding Croxley Paper Mill (Croxley Script).

Do you have those links in your family?

Ray

Hi Ray,

The simple answer to your question is yes, very much so. From what I know, especially of the Raggett's at least 3 generations,  possuilby more worked at the mills during the 19th century and the early part of the 20th Century.

Further back in the family tree, George Durrant worked at the mill. His daughter, Mary Ann, married my Gt, Gt Grandfather William Fortnum Raggett. Back even further George Durrant's father in law, William Fowler worked in the mills too.

There were many Raggett's connected to the mills at Croxley, too many to count. I have been told Henry Odo Raggett moved to Bristol to work as a paper salesman for Dickinson's.

Regards

Andy

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 September 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Pleased to hear I helped a little with WJC, pity it didn't help with where he was in the census....... :-\

I see Ray has brought up the subject of Croxley Paper Mill, I too have connections to the Mill through my family & have a book with a lot of info in it with regard to the Mill & many of the workers, unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment but when I get back next week I can check out some of the names you mention.

Will also have another go at trying to find WJC, wonder if he was "helping the police with their enquiries at all". :)

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Andy Raggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 September 12 13:31 BST (UK) »

I see Ray has brought up the subject of Croxley Paper Mill, I too have connections to the Mill through my family & have a book with a lot of info in it with regard to the Mill & many of the workers, unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment but when I get back next week I can check out some of the names you mention.

Will also have another go at trying to find WJC, wonder if he was "helping the police with their enquiries at all". :)

Hi Maddie,

You may have the same book as me. The Endless Web by Joan Evans. The history of John Dickinson & Co 1804-1954. It was recomended to me quite some time ago now and I was lucky to pick up a copy in Norfolk, courtesy of my Father.
I've not read the book in depth, but have looked at the indexes at the rear which gives names of workers from the census of the time, including my forebears.

"Helping police with their enquiries"? now that is a worrying but interesting thought.

I have just re-newed my readers pass to Hertfordshire Archives at Hertford Town Hall. I thought I might go there early next week, with a view to looking through the electoral registers uo to 1934, to see if I can spot him listed and narrow down his whereabouts.

Andy

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 September 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

We do indeed have the same book. :) I've read some of it & find the old photos fascinating, some are of the time when my Aunt worked there as did my Dad, Grandfather, Grt Grandfather & Grt Uncle to mention but a few. ;)

A good idea to have a look through the electoral rolls, all though, if he was of no fixed abode he may not show on them. :-\

Sorry about the mention of the police, it was just a thought I had,  :) He should still be on the census though..............

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire