Author Topic: Do you turn your router off?  (Read 11697 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you turn your router off?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 March 12 06:49 GMT (UK) »
I think one of the initial concerns was 'fire risk'?
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 March 12 07:18 GMT (UK) »
There is absolutely no need to turn your Internet connection off. As it is password protected it is not at risk of being remotely interferred with during the night anymore than it is during the day.
Although I agree that there is no risk (as long as your firewall is "protective" enough) I prefer to turn my modem on in the morning and turn it off at night.

There are too many household appliances (including computer and hi-fi) either on "stand-by", pretending they use hardly any electricity, or with an OFF-switch, that doesn't totally switch off all current.  It all adds up, - to the electricity bill, - to the need for more power stations, - global warming (all such appliances emit heat), - fire risk, - etc, etc.

Maybe turning them on and off only when using is overdoing it, but ON in the morning and OFF at night is a good compromise.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline didactylos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 March 12 08:33 GMT (UK) »
24/7 is my interent access. I often have 'stuff' being done automatically when I am asleep. This means that when I am using the computer system its not in competition with housekeeping etc that can be done during idle times.

Only time I ever switch it off is if there is a fault, or if we are away for any length of time.

I have learned from experience to leave the internet connected and not breathe near it!

I take the point about standby and energy use, but I reckon as I have everything else off its a small price to pay.

Roger
Neilson, Henderson, Stark, O'Hara, Anderson - Lanarkshire
Wilson, Hepple, Leech, Bell, Jenkins,  - Newcastle & Northumberland
Houston - Sunderland

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 March 12 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Agree with that.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 March 12 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've had problems just recently with connecting to the internet when I first switch on. I have a laptop and always turn my wireless router and computer off when not in use.

Today, after trying unsuccessfully to connect, I switched the router off for 10 minutes or so......I have had to do that on many occasions just recently. After 10 minutes my connection was still not great and the LAN light was blinking rapidly.

I decided to phone my isp and he was very helpful and informative but told me I must leave the router on at all times and then if things don't improve, to get back to them.

I just wondered what the general concensus of opinion on this is?
Are you laying yourself open to a security problem?
What happens if there is a thunderstorm?
The transformer and router get quite hot, is this a problem? 

Opinions appreciated. Best wishes HL

We always turn our modem off when not in use - (A nephew of mine proved that if we turn off (at the wall) anything that has a standby light, we cut our light bill by heaps - Yep when we remember to turn off all the things that have them; microwave, jug/kettle, ps3, xbox360, tvs, comps, modems etc - we do save on bills - )
We always turn off during storms -
I don't think there would be any security problems by leaving them turned on -
Our modem always gets hot, think it just part n parcel of the whole router system -
We often have to turn ours off when the connection gets laggy or just stops working properly, for about 30 to 60 seconds is all it needs to 'reboot' itself - If you have a 'reset' button on your modem/router, (usually at the back or underneath the unit)  try pressing and holding it for a few seconds that sometimes works -
Perhaps give a call to your service provider -
Good luck

FA
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 March 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
We have a Belkin router which is generally on all the time.  My OH and I turn on our computers, him a PC, me a laptop every morning and turn them off when we go to bed, but we leave them plugged into the electricity sockets which are left on.

The only time we turn the router off and straight on again, is when sometimes my laptop loses the connection, we have no idea why the laptop loses connection, but we do know that the answer is sometimes to disconnect the access between the laptop and router and then re-connect, but on other occasions we have to unplug the router, then plug it in again and everything works OK again.

Lizzie

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 March 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Our internet was getting really slow and when I called isp tech support he said the line was fine but it could be the router getting a bit clogged up. He said he reboots his every two days or so to keep it clear. I rebooted and it did solve the problem.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies everyone  :)

I've decided to leave the router on and it certainly worked fine this morning. I'll switch off when we're away or when I know I'm not going to be using it for a few days (or probably if there's a thunder storm)...... but that's got to be an improvement on my previous routine.
I hadn't really registered that I turned it off during the day, when I go out, as well as at night, till I replied to Brian   ::)

Anyway, all your replies made for interesting reading and it just goes to show that really we have divided opinions on the question.

Best wishes HL :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 March 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
A technician told me recently that, if you switch the router on and off several times, the automatic equipment at the exchange can interpret it as a fault and switch to a lower broadband speed.

Apparently the line is automatically monitored and progressively switched to higher speeds over a number of days until it achieves the maximum stable rate the line can sustain.

Mike.

That is 100% TRUE.

Routers are designed to be connected 24/7/365.   Turning them off may save you about 7W of electricity, but it can cause all sorts of other problems.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk