Author Topic: R C in Dunbartonshire????  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Stuck

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: R C in Dunbartonshire????
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 June 05 11:54 BST (UK) »
I spent 2 days solidly searching parish records and the early census looking for my McMillan family and in the 1841 census
Row/Rhu (Helensburgh) James St -I found -
Alexander MacMillan 60 labourer born in Scotland but not Dunbartonshire
Sarah wife 35 born not in Scotland
J anny 3  b Dumbarton Row/Rhu
Ann 1 b Dumbarton Row/Rhu

but nothing in the parish records for marriage or births
Death certificate in Dumbarton 1857 for Alexander McMillan aged 75 toll keeper. Parents Robert McMillan and Agnes Barclay
His daughter Janet McCreath was the informant.

It would fit but no marriage for a McMillan and McCreath or a McMillan and Barclay on scotlandspeople.

I'm now requesting a search of the RC records at the Archdiocese of Glasgow but it's not clear that Row/Rhu are covered in their records although I looked at their online site.

I also found a birth for Janet MacMillan 04/07/1838 parents Alexander MacMillan and Sarah Fraser in Little Dunkeld (Perthshire) but I think it is a coincidence.

I think it is possible that Sarah was Irish and maybe the RC! Or the McMillan family too. What do you think?
Essex -Davey, Southwark - Purdin, Avery
Co Cork -Purdin, Hallahan  Dublin - Avery, Molloy Co Armagh , Newry -Carson
Scotland, Caithness - Swanson, Carson Dunbartonshire- McMillan
Middlesex Willesden - Pearce, Walker, Davey
Somerset - Pearce, Hodson

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: R C in Dunbartonshire????
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 June 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
I think you are right about Sarah possibly being Irish.  Although, it was usual for the Husband's religion to be the one that dominated the marriage, and dictated which faith the children were to be raised in.  So it is probable that your Alexander was RC as well.

It also looks like Sarah was Alexanders second wife??  His age 60, and her age 35 in the census, with two such young children.

They may have even met at the RC church - if Sarah did move to Scotland from Ireland, she would have been active in the church for social and economic reasons.

What about the 1851 census - Sarah and the children should be there.  Possibly even Alexander, at 70 years of age.
The 1851 would tell more on all their birthplaces.

How was the rest of your trip?  Tell us all the details!

Deb
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley