Author Topic: Thorndon / Wetheringsett - STAFF  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thorndon / Wetheringsett - STAFF
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 07:17 BST (UK) »
There is a submitted entry on the familysearch.org website

Stephen STAFF bpt 19 Mar 1755 Dickleburgh, Nfk. Parents John & Anne.

Dickleburgh is due north of Thorndon not far at all.

The original Dickleburgh PRs are available to view on line on the familysearch site & on pg13 of the 1738 - 1795 Bpt reg you can see the above bpt entry.

Stephen STAFF buried 20 July 1845 age 92 Thorndon All Saints   - so born c1753.  If they came from Dickleburgh it might explain why there are no burials earlier than 1810 at Thorndon.

An Elizabeth STAFF (wife of Stephen) was buried 26 Sep 1830 age 75 Thorndon All Saints (so c1755).

Also a Robert STAFF buried 24 Nov 1835 age 79 Thorndon All Saints (so c1756).  There is another submitted entry on familysearch Robert STAFF bpt 7 Jan 1756 Dickleburgh parents John & Anne.  Again you can see the actual entry in the PRs - lurking as the last entry in 1755 same page as above.

So it looks like STAFF is correct & they may have come from Dickleburgh.
K

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thorndon / Wetheringsett - STAFF
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
Keziah

Thanks for this info. I had the burials (Stephen, Elizabeth and Robert) from the Suffolk Burial Index - which is how I "constructed" the family .... but the Dickleburgh baptisms are new to me and quite exciting - as the family they married into in the 1850s came (I think) from Pulham St. Mary in Norfolk which is just up the road from there.

So - many thanks for that. I'll have to go back to family search some time and have a look around.

(The marriage info that you provided for Lionel Staff also appears to fit ... so many thanks for that too)

david
Artis (Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge / London)
Noller and Staff (Suffolk)
Cantwell and Driscoll (London and Ireland)
Harding (Littlehapton & Bethnal Green)

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Staff & Roe -Thorndon & Redlingfield
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 September 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
An Eliza Staff (born Thorndon c1840) married a miller, William Roe (born Redlingfield 1824) at Linton, Cambridge in 1868 as his 2nd wife. I believe it was this Eliza who was employed by the Soper family of Gibson Square, Islington in 1861. William's first wife (& Eliza's elder sister)was Rachel Staff (born c1821) married October 24th 1849 at Linton, she died childless in 1867.
By 1881 the family were living at Sawston Mill, Cambridge.
As usual the census records are inconsistent with the spelling of surname, birth dates & birth places.
June 6th 1841 the dwelling appeared have 12 "Staff" family & 5 "Heyhoe" family
In 1851 (FMS has Eliza and her family under the surname of "Stuff") are living with "grandparents" sic parents? Stephen (1783-1869) & Mary.
Martha Staff was living there with her new & younger husband Robert Stringer!
In April 1871 Mary Staff was living with her "Thrower" grandchildren, she died aged 84 later that year.